Heat waves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamaha_gurl

Aug 31, 2008
Ontairo
I just painted my Fisher Honey Bear stove (which I just purchased) and fired it up outside, attached the single wall stove pipe to it, and yes there is that odd smell, but the thing that bugs me is that there is a "haze" or heat wave that comes off of about an inch off of the stove. Is this normal? I added a thermometer on the pipe, about 18 inches from the stove, and we got the temp up to 500. Just don't remember my parent's Fisher having that type of wavy "heat" coming off of the stove, but then again, their's wasn't just painted.

Thanks all. :)

The waves are just the changes in density of the air immediately next to the stove. Just look down a stretch of asphalt road on a sunny day and you will see the same thing. You probably won't notice it inside as it is darker inside than outside. Put a fan on it and it will go away...

Chris

Doesn't sound like anything abnormal. Like posted above, this is just a difference in air density (hence temperature) - it's also more noticeable when the difference is greatest - ie cold day with hot stove and when you have a long 'line of sight' through the heat waves. Sometimes you can even see them shimmering across a roof when the sun is out on a cold day.

Isn't heat waves what you want coming off a wood stove :)
with the thermometer reading 500 F sounds like you had nice hot fire. I wouldn't be conserned at all.
As the others have said it is just like on a paved road in the summer.

If you squat down and look through it just about horizontally, do you see a cool pond and some palm trees beckoning you? Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.