Heat zone kit on heatilator constitution

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigAcres

Jan 2, 2019
Michigan
Ive had the heat zone kit installed on my fire place and I don't get much heat out of it. I have 80 to 90 degree temps coming out of it and not sure if this is normal. I have 5-6 ft of pipe before the fan unit which is installed directly below the fire place in the basement. Basically I'm just wondering if i can capture more,heat somehow or if thats all I'll get out of it. Thanks!

Does the air coming out feel warm?

Should be quite a bit hotter. Metal reading can be affected by emissivity and conduction. Put a thermometer in the airflow to measure the actual air temp. Is this 6" B-Vent pipe?

Did you install the kit? It looks like the length of the starter pipe affects the output volume. I'm wondering if shortening this would help. This is the first time I've looked at this. Even working perfectly it seems like a limited heat volume is going to come through the 3" starter tube.

Yes it is b-vent and no I did not install it. Theres only 2 bends and then 5 or 6' of pipe. I'll get a t stat to measure air temp. I think it would work exceptionally better if the fan was in the pipe instead of in the vent fixture, I'm going to look at it and see if I can adjust the location of the fan to get it as close to the pipe as possible.

Did you resolve this? I recently installed two HZ kits on a new Pioneer 2C and the air temp out of the duct is tepid at best. No way does it have any affect on the room temp.

Did you resolve this? I recently installed two HZ kits on a new Pioneer 2C and the air temp out of the duct is tepid at best. No way does it have any affect on the room temp.
What I have found is that moving heat down is basically impossible. If you're HZ is directly above the fireplace, say on a second floor, it would probably work much better. Otherwise I think it's just a sales gimmick.