Heaterman Help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott from Canada

Jul 26, 2009
Manitoba Canada
Heaterman I am getting real close to taking the Garn plunge. Ken at Garn has been great but I don,t think he has time to layout in detail my system design.He has guoted me on some supplies from our conversations and now I am starting to get a tad nervous. I biult my own house but am now starting to wonder if I can plumb this propurely to make this huge investment worth while.Since you are the expert would you have the time to help me with this huge process?

Thanks Scott

Time is a pretty scarce commodity this time of year for me but what I do have I will gladly share.

You may fire when ready via PM or here.

heaterman said:
Time is a pretty scarce commodity this time of year for me but what I do have I will gladly share.

The only very gentle reminder I would make to both of you is that there is a little bit of a fuzzy line involved - general discussion about what is invovled is encoruaged in the forums, but personal business is not... Especially if it gets into things like costs for services and the like, it is better done via PM or other off-line methods... It is hard to define precisely, I guess the borderline is "would the discussion help someone else design their system" or not...

So far it hasn't been an issue, but just thought I'd mention it ahead of time... Certainly the general discussion of the idea is fine.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
heaterman said:

The only very gentle reminder I would make to both of you is that there is a little bit of a fuzzy line involved - general discussion about what is invovled is encoruaged in the forums, but personal business is not... Especially if it gets into things like costs for services and the like, it is better done via PM or other off-line methods... It is hard to define precisely, I guess the borderline is "would the discussion help someone else design their system" or not...

So far it hasn't been an issue, but just thought I'd mention it ahead of time... Certainly the general discussion of the idea is fine.

Gooserider

Message understood and I try to bear that in mind anytime I post. The last thing I want to do is screw up this website. It is a huge resource for the DIY wood burning crowd and I would hate to see it compromised with a bunch of "my dog is bigger than your dog" type posts. No offense taken Goose.

heaterman said:
Gooserider said:
heaterman said:

Gooserider

Message understood and I try to bear that in mind anytime I post. The last thing I want to do is screw up this website. It is a huge resource for the DIY wood burning crowd and I would hate to see it compromised with a bunch of "my dog is bigger than your dog" type posts. No offense taken Goose.

No problem at all, it just seemed an appropriate time to mention it. I certainly will say that you and our other "industry" members are a valuable part of what makes the site special and are much appreciated, (and certainly we want everyone to do well in their respective businesses) but at the same time we don't want to become anybody's "online office" so there is a bit of a fuzzy line involved as I said... The OP had a little feel of heading towards the edge of the line so I thought it worth bringing up.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
heaterman said:
Gooserider said:
heaterman said:

Gooserider

No problem at all, it just seemed an appropriate time to mention it. I certainly will say that you and our other "industry" members are a valuable part of what makes the site special and are much appreciated, (and certainly we want everyone to do well in their respective businesses) but at the same time we don't want to become anybody's "online office" so there is a bit of a fuzzy line involved as I said... The OP had a little feel of heading towards the edge of the line so I thought it worth bringing up.

Gooserider

I hear you Goose. One of the reasons this place is pretty special because all the resellers, dealers and other merchants refrain from doing what you are talking about. I've seen some others that have degenerated into a bunch of name calling pi$$ing contests with people running others products down and disinformation everywhere.

I APPRECIATE EVERYTHING SAID AND DID NOT INTEND ANY DISRESPECT or anything else. I JUST DID NOT WANT TO BORE EVERYONE WITH MY NOVEL.I do believe my house,shop,pool install would be a fairly common one that others could benefit from. Heaterman are you still interested in helping? If so I can see if I can figure out how to transfer the PM post onto the forum.

Thanks Scott

Scott from Canada said:
I APPRECIATE EVERYTHING SAID AND DID NOT INTEND ANY DISRESPECT or anything else. I JUST DID NOT WANT TO BORE EVERYONE WITH MY NOVEL.I do believe my house,shop,pool install would be a fairly common one that others could benefit from. Heaterman are you still interested in helping? If so I can see if I can figure out how to transfer the PM post onto the forum.

Thanks Scott

No offense taken - maybe I made a mistake in mentioning this at all... Perhaps I can make a crude analogy... If this were a car repair site, and the subject of oil changes came up, there would be no problem asking what is involved in doing one and a rough estimate of what a typical oil change might cost, but it would be if I asked "Joe" from "Joe's Garage" exactly what he would charge to change MY oil and can I make an appointment....

In this case, there wouldn't be a problem about asking for advice on the install in general, which as you said might well be a common situation that others can benefit from, but it sounded like you were possibly headed in the direction of asking for a specific consult on your exact system layout and design, which is perhaps a bit over the line, and what I was referring to... I do hope this makes more sense - I'm starting to think I caused more issues than I prevented this time around :red:

Gooserider

Scott from Canada said:

Thanks Scott

It's no problem Scott. The issue is more with me than with you and it's really no issue at all. Of course I'm interested.......I'd be a pretty sad excuse for a heaterman if I wasn't. :)

The PM is of course personal message and you'll see the icon for it directly to the bottom left of the normal post screen. It simply says PM in a little blue box. When you select that the message you send will go to only the person you select.

Status
Not open for further replies.