Heathkit GU-1810 Wood Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Picker

May 1, 2017
Wapakoneta, Ohio
heathkit-log-splitter.jpg

For my first post I thought I would share a photo of my 10 ton Heathkit wood splitter. That I found listed for sale on Craigslist a few days ago for $250. I had been checking the ads for used splitters when it caught my attention. While it certainly doesn't have the power of a 20+ ton splitter! I like unique vintage items and wasn't aware that Heathkit sold wood splitters. From what I can tell it is in original condition? While I have not had a chance to use it all that much yet. It seems to be able to bust through most of my red elm rounds (10-12 inch diameter) without a problem. Which I cut shorter (8-10 inch) than I normally would. Thinking I would be splitting them with a sledge and wedge. However the really tough pieces with knots require shaving from the sides. I only found one actual photo of the Heathkit GU-1810 wood splitter online. However there is an informative article at the following page.

http://www.w6ze.org/Heathkit/Heathkit_028_GU1810.pdf

My very first splitter build (that was 3 splitters ago) was built with the dual pipe design. Worked for many cord of wood. Unfortunately I was using a pretty good sized cylinder and snapped the wedge off (just old carbon steel not up for the task). Gave that one to my brother (he was gonna fix it) and built my big boy.

I guess my rambling point is...simple but functional design. Don't be too surprised if those pipes bend a little on a good hard push.

Luckily it seems to stall out before the pipes try to bend. I thought of trying to reset the relief valve for more pressure. Or possibly add a two stage pump. But on second thought best to leave well enough alone! LOL

Adding a larger image of the splitter with this post.

heathkit-log-splitter-2.jpg

I love the older models, thanks for sharing. Looks like the wood pile behind the splitter will keep you busy for a while.

LG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Picker
View attachment 197297

For my first post I thought I would share a photo of my 10 ton Heathkit wood splitter. That I found listed for sale on Craigslist a few days ago for $250. I had been checking the ads for used splitters when it caught my attention. While it certainly doesn't have the power of a 20+ ton splitter! I like unique vintage items and wasn't aware that Heathkit sold wood splitters. From what I can tell it is in original condition? While I have not had a chance to use it all that much yet. It seems to be able to bust through most of my red elm rounds (10-12 inch diameter) without a problem. Which I cut shorter (8-10 inch) than I normally would. Thinking I would be splitting them with a sledge and wedge. However the really tough pieces with knots require shaving from the sides. I only found one actual photo of the Heathkit GU-1810 wood splitter online. However there is an informative article at the following page.

I have the same, except mine does not display the bold lettering "Heathkit" on it. Have the owners manual in near new condition and the Tecumseh engine manual as well. Split about 20 cords a year , still running great

This was designed by a company which was not ever famous for fit and finish, but which was well known for good design.

Why does it have a 5 HP engine and a 4.5gpm pump? I know they had a reason. If it's a 4.5 gpm pump, I'm expecting ~9hp for a single stage pump or ~3hp for a dual stage pump.

Maybe it's just that they spent the design phase removing vacuum tube screens and antenna ports from the blueprints... :) ("Jim, I know that looks like a good impedence matching circuit on paper, but I assure you that a hydraulic system does not need one, and a rock in the return line is not the same as a resistor.")

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Holy crap. I knew Heath kit made Ham equipment and stereo receivers, but not log splitters! Tres cool!

I have the same, except mine does not display the bold lettering "Heathkit" on it. Have the owners manual in near new condition and the Tecumseh engine manual as well. Split about 20 cords a year , still running great

W
This was designed by a company which was not ever famous for fit and finish, but which was well known for good design.

Why does it have a 5 HP engine and a 4.5gpm pump? I know they had a reason. If it's a 4.5 gpm pump, I'm expecting ~9hp for a single stage pump or ~3hp for a dual stage pump.

Maybe it's just that they spent the design phase removing vacuum tube screens and antenna ports from the blueprints... :) ("Jim, I know that looks like a good impedence matching circuit on paper, but I assure you that a hydraulic system does not need one, and a rock in the return line is not the same as a resistor.")

You maybe right on the fit and finish on most of what they made. But on the log slitter it was a cutting edge design in a couple of areas for its time. The fit and finish was good as well. Owners of newer models (and better) see this old relic at work and marvel at the simplicity of design in the twin tube cradle and how the base plate is designed. As for the pump and motor is concerned - I have seen many new, better splitter's get VERT HOT. I am going to have to pay attention to the the ram, as it I have never even noticed if it even get warm. What can you say about a 37 year old mechanical devise that still works as hard and well as when it was new! Slow - yes, by most log spitting standards of today.

View attachment 197297

Wapak--Whoa! Over here in New Knoxville! Welcome to the Neighborhood.

does the motor end pivot up such that the two tubes will lay down flat on the ground? My neighbor had one that looked about like that but it would lay flat on the ground to roll big rounds on top of it, which is kind of ironic because anything that was too big to pick up was too big for it to split but that was the design intent apparently.
it was very simple rugged and ran really pretty well

There's plenty of Heathkit radios still in service, and it would not amaze me to learn that some of their oscopes were still kicking too.

I still have one Heathkit shortwave receiver, built by my dad in the early 1950’s. Haven’t plugged it in for years, but I’m sure it still works. Sold his collection of transmitters and other Heathkit equipment, as I’m not into amateur radio, just kept this one for sentimental reasons. I used to accidentally stumble into neighbors wireless telephone calls on that thing, as a kid, but nothing ever juicier than a wife dictating a grocery list to her husband.