Heatilator CAB50 - No Power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wigsajumper

Feb 27, 2020
Maine
Having an issue with our Heatilator EcoChoice CAB50.

Was cleaning out the fire pot when there was a spark from the scrapper. After that there was no power. No fan, no call light, no lights in control box.

First thing I did was check the fuse. It didn't look blown but I used my multi-meter on it and there was no resistance.
Second I checked the outlet, lamp worked on both outlets.
Third I changed out the igniter with a spare I had. Still no change.

Looked around on Google and searched this forum.

Checked snap discs, disconnected thermostat wires and made a jumper. No change.

At this point I am starting to wonder if the control box shorted out.

Any other hints please let me know.

Edit - Just put the multimeter on the snapdiscs. Snap disk 2 & 3 had not resistance. Snap Disc 1 had 30ish MegaOhms??

Last edited:
Did you check the plug for power (use a lamp)
May have tripped the breaker.

Reactions: wigsajumper
Finally got a call back from my local service rep. Stepped him through my troubleshooting. He thinks it is the control box. Picking it up from him tomorrow. He said the igniter circuit is one of the few circuits that doesn't route through the fuse but goes straight to the control box.

Check the fuse with diode check on the multimeter. There may be a fuse on the control board (marked f1). Was the igniter wires bare? There is no power to anything near the burn pot except the igniter. But a dead short will damage the control board.

Reactions: wigsajumper
Check the fuse with diode check on the multimeter. There may be a fuse on the control board (marked f1). Was the igniter wires bare? There is no power to anything near the burn pot except the igniter. But a dead short will damage the control board.

Will check the fuse with that option after I get done cleaning up from this last storm. There was bare igniter wires. One of the wires had the white coating warn away bare silver wires were showing. A few of them were cut through. The wires were routed through the hook on the pullout

Update: Got a new control board from local service guy today. Replaced in about 5 minutes after setting jumper to 2 according to instructions in box (also matched what was on my old box). Pellet stove immediately came to life. Dropped pellets and flame on within 5 minutes.

Planning on opening my old box this weekend sometime interested to see if I can find where the short is. It has been a bit over a decade since I did board level repair and I don't have any of my old shop equipment but will be interesting to see what I can find.

Thanks all.