Heatilator CAB50 Troubleshooting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

quadfan

Feb 11, 2021
USA
So I've got a heatilator cab50 that I've been able to keep running for years with regular searching. Only trouble I've had has been general wear and tear ignitor a time or two, thermocouple another time and me shorting out a control box after diagnosing a snap disc issue. But that is my fault.

So the pellet stove is in my rental, and the renter says they woke up in the morning and the stove was running with no heat coming out/fire out.

My main question: should the red call for fire light start as soon as I plug in the stove/shortly there after?

I started to diagnose it yesterday. It won't feed pellets, and does not drop them in on startup cycle/reset button. It turns on, exhaust motor comes on.

I get blue lights on control box, but no red call for fire light. The ignitor does come on.

I have adjusted wall thermostat to max temp, emptied hopper and removed auger cleaned feed tube. I cant recall if I attempted to run it again after cleaning the auger tube.

I have also cont checked fuse in control box, jumped each snap disc by itself, jumped thermostat connection points, jumped hopper lid switch, jumped vac switch.

The auger motor did appear to turn when I removed it from the tube, and started stove.

I've ran through the quad manual, and tech manual and having a hard time with this one.

Thanks!

When was the last time the stove and vent were cleaned? If you jump vac, hopper, snap disc #2 at the same time the auger should run. If it doesn’t its the auger motor or control board

Vent has been a year or so. Stove appears to be clean on the inside.

I will try jumping all 3 at the same time. So far its only been 1 at a time, or two at a time since that is all the jumpers I had.

Does the red call light mean anything, or just something that turns on when it reaches temp? Because that light never comes on that I've seen.

So just an update. I got a call from my renter today. I mentioned I was going to swing by and try out the pellet stove, since I couldn't recall if I tried it after cleaning the auger tube. I received a call later on and they advised me that it was working. I went over and looked and the stove was functioning perfect, with a working red call light.

I got no explanation for it, and especially the red call light failing to work, other than the auger tube was dirty.

I would go through the stove and do a thorough cleaning, the whole stove and vent should be cleaned every ton of pellets