Heatilator Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitchhiker

Hearth Supporter
Aug 28, 2010
Western NC
I have a Heatilator model EC36 Fireplace that was put in by my builder 10 years ago. It's connected to SL348 chimney pipe which I recall to be a double wall stainless steel pipe. The pipe was installed in a wood framed chimney chase with a minimum 1" clearance all the way up. I'm researching ripping it out and replacing it with a Buck model 74ZC but I am hung up on whether or not my chimney will handle the Buck.

In the information on the Buck it states to use 6" listed 2100º UL 103 HT TYPE chimney. I can't find out if my existing pipe will meet that requirement. Does anyone here know if it will?

Also, since what I have is 8" inside diameter and the Buck takes a 6", would it be safe to install 24 gauge black or blue smoke pipe inside the inner pipe of my 8" pipe all the way to the top? This would effectively give me a triple wall pipe instead of a double wall.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Not sure on the other, but you do NOT want to use stove/connector pipe from the stove to daylight. It can basically "rot" away without your knowing it, putting you at risk of a fire. You want UL 103 HT stainless steel, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.