Heatilator Constitution

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbursan

Jan 29, 2014
Upper Alabama
This is the model of fireplace my builder uses (for EPA fireplaces anyway). It seems to do everything I want, including gravity ducting (they call it zoning). I can have two ducts. I'll send one into the master bedroom which is right on the other side of the wall (the fireplace is in the corner of the family room) and the other I'm hoping to send upstairs to the bonus room (460 sq ft). The Heatilator installation manual says to keep the runs under 40' and no more than 4x90 degree bends and I'll probably need half of each. I think this will work out perfectly as the vent will enter the bonus room at one corner of the room and the stairs going down are on the opposite corner. The stairs then come down on the far side of the kitchen which is very open back to the family room so that should give me a good circulation. If the contractor doesn't think that will work out then I'll just put the second duct above the mantel.

So, a few questions:

1) First, how is the quality on a Heatilator Constitution? This won't be my primary heat but I do intend to use this for at least the next 15 years or so. I've read that Heatilator is the "contractor" grade brand and Heat & Glow is the "custom home" grade of the same company. Would I gain anything by requesting the Heat & Glow Northstar instead (as near as I can tell it's the same unit)?

2) Ideally I'd like to have each duct have some control on it so I can "throttle back" the amount of hot air coming out of it and let the balance just come out the return at the top of the fireplace. Does this sound reasonable?

3) For 99% of the time I'm using this I'd expect to be using the blower, even if it's on low. But I do intend to use this as backup in case the power goes out. In that case will enough air naturally circulate to keep the fireplace from getting too hot? (That's a secondary reason for wanting the zoning ducts). I would assume this would be fine but it doesn't hurt to ask. :)

I will of course be discussing all of this with the builder but I'd like a little knowledge beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.