Heatilator direct vent gas heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

calboy

Oct 28, 2009
southern nevada
Hi folks, just moved to henderson and have been introduced to a heatilator GC150E, natural gas fireplace. Coming from MD I had a propane fireplace that had a pilot/on/off valve and a pushbutton ignitor. This fireplace has none of this. Can someone tell me how to light this particular fireplace?

Not totally familiar with this model, but it may have an Intermittent Pilot.
If so, there should be a rocker switch above the gas valve.
Turn the switch off - then on & see if your pilot lights...

Its DSI (direct spark ignition)

Its really old and has a pretty bad flame.

Parts are expensive / not available.

I would replace it with a current model.

To light it, you just flip the switch. It will make an erratic clicking / sparking noise and then a thunk which is the gas valve opening.

If it doesn't work, good luck finding anyone who knows how to properly repair it.

The glass seals were a rubber material which dries up and breaks apart, this should be replaced with a rope gasket available from Heatilator if you are going to use it.

DSI...K...learned something there...I knew I wasn't familiar with that model...
The cost to convert this to a standing pilot is probably gonna cost you close to $1K.
You mizewell tear it out & put in a newer, more efficient unit, that wiil both
look realistic & throw a large amount of heat into your home.
Venting configurations & components have changed over the
the last decade & you'll hafta bite the bullet for a new DV vent as well.
You'll probably be around $5K, if you hire a hearth shop to do
the tear-out/install...
Considerably less if you tackle it yourself...

Probably the first step should be to contact the manufacture and request a installation/owners manual and get yourself up to speed. It would probably be also wise to get a hearth and home fireplace technician out there to take a look at the appliance before you fire it up. This shouldn't be too exspensive.

Sure gas fireplaces have come a long (long) way since this fireplace, but it was still made in the 90's. If a new fireplace isn't in your budget, you do have options. If there is a bad component, it may be exspensive to replace. DSI systems tend to scare a lot of people, but regardless, they do still do the job.

In the Las Vegas area contact Silver State Specialties. They are the local Heatilator distributor. Their phone number may be on the Heatilator dealer locator.

Status
Not open for further replies.