Heatilator EL36 fresh air kit -Help!-

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Omerta25

Dec 19, 2022
TX
Any input appreciated! Moved into current home last year, and after a couple of fires this season I noticed that I was having poor airflow; (flue swept last week.) Being admittedly ignorant to all the dynamics of prefab fireplaces, I just noticed yesterday a lever on the left/front side of the firebox liner. Upon looking up the model/manual I realized it was a fresh air kit. With much excitement (lol) I flipped the lever.... And upon doing so the lever, and the damper assembly dislodged from the liner and fell into the cavity... Went outside, and of course, the vent cover was exposed/damaged, and full of dirt dobber/wasp nests... I fished those out, and can tell the ducting isn't attached to the side of the firebox obviously. Now, I've got constant air bleeding into the vents, and horrible backdraft... I tried removing the ceramic inserts and I can't find a way to get past the liner to reattach the assembly... The fireplace is set on a 45° in the living room. Please advise, and thank you!
20221218_093154.jpg
Screenshot_20221218_171540_Photos.jpg
20221218_171000~2.jpg
20221218_171038~2.jpg
20221218_171021~2.jpg
Screenshot_20221218_170504_Samsung Notes.jpg

Can you take that cover off? It looks like it may be held on with Phillips head screws.
The black framing on the pic where the keyhole is? That was the first thing I tried. Took all the screws out surrounding the frame, pulled the 3 ceramic backing plates, etc. I did end up cutting a hole in my sheetrock on the backside for a crawlspace, being that it's set on a 45° I figured there'd be room to access the cavity.. So yesterday I got through, pulled the duct work/plate, and all the screws on the liner and could not access the assembly.... I didn't realize it's double walled with aluminum sheet metal, and it's all one piece. So it's like wedged together with tabs and screws... Ended up readjusting the ductwork connecting to the firebox, securing with tie wire, and gorilla taping the hell out of the outside inlet area as a temp fix. Lol... Good times.

Why did it fail? I’m not sure if trust my safety to gorilla tape, it’s good, but not that good!