Heatilator electronic ignition not lighting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jdavidbakr

Nov 2, 2019
Tulsa, OK
Hi, I have been searching for an answer to this and have drawn a complete blank, hoping someone here can help. I have a Heatilator GBST4336I that is about 10 years old. Last year I had issues with it staying lit, so as we entered this season I decided to troubleshoot it. I first replaced the pilot assembly (part number 2090-013) but that did not solve the issue, so I also replaced the control unit (Dexen GM-6KA). Now it works great ... if it lights. When I turn the switch on, the spark works great on the igniter, but there is a sputtering blue flame - like there's not enough gas coming out - and it never really ignites. Sometimes after 2-3 attempts it will ignite, and then once that happens everything works great. But if it's been off for more than a couple of hours, it goes back to the sputtering pilot flame. This was never an issue before - it never struggled to light, even after being off all summer, it only struggled to stay lit. Now I have the opposite problem.

I can't really find this issue described but I have to think it's fairly common and there should be something I can look at! Does anyone have any ideas on where my next troubleshooting step should be? Is it possible I bought a bad pilot assembly?

Thanks!

Pull the burner & remove the burner orifice.
Run a cotton swab or something similar into the tube behind the orifice.
You might have a spider's nest in the gas tube.

Reactions: jdavidbakr
Thanks - I will give that a try and let you know how it goes. I also was wondering if maybe I got some dust clogged into the new tube when I installed it? Is it safe to use compressed air to blow through the tube or would I risk making it worse??