Heatilator Intellifire Ignition Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rrsanch

Mar 13, 2019
Collinsville, IL
Hey all. First time post here. I have a Heatilator Intellifire Ignition System, believe the model is CD4236, with a problem I'm trying to troubleshoot. Used to be I could flip the wall switch on and the pilot would spark/light, followed by gas releasing and fire being lit. Turn the switch off and the fire would go out.

Slowly over the course of the past two years, I've noticed it would take significantly longer for the fire to start. Began to see that the pilot would spark, gas would release but the fire wouldn't light up. I ended up cleaning the flaming sensor rod, which seemed to fix the issue. A day or so later, as I was vacuuming out the bottom compartment, I noticed that the pilot wire (orange) coming from the control box to the valve appeared burnt on the valve end connection. Further, after starting everything up, the wire itself was very hot. I immediately shut everything off and began looking online for problems, symptoms and solutions. I ended up ordering a new wire assembly (since the pilot wire was in need of being replaced) to begin the troubleshooting. I got the order today and installed it. I turned on the gas, flipped the wall switch and the fire lit immediately as it should. Didn't appear that there were any issues with the pilot wire heating up, pilot light sparking, etc.

My problem now, however, is this. I turn the wall switch off and the fire stays on. I end up having to shutoff the gas for it to go out. This wasn't the case before. I could turn the switch off and the fire would go out. I have my assumptions about what could be the cause, but I'm turning to you guys...the experts, to confirm or at least provide me ideas that I could use to troubleshoot. I appreciate your time and help.

Thanks!

Rico

The first thing is to make sure the switch is good. Is this a wireless switch? If so, were the batteries checked?

The first thing is to make sure the switch is good. Is this a wireless switch? If so, were the batteries checked?

So, it’s not a wireless switch. It’s a wall switch. I’m not sure what you mean when asking if the switch is good. I turn the switch in the ON position and the pilot light sparks and ignites. Just when I turn the switch off, where it used to shut down the fire, it does nothing. Thanks for replying!

I'd start by taking the switch out, disconnecting the wires and manually connecting and disconnecting the wires, rather than using the switch.

Having a bad switch is a fairly common problem since most wall switches are designed to turn 120 VAC on and off, whiole a gas fireplace operates on about 2/10 volt.