Heatilator Mark 123

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ablaze911

Mar 24, 2017
New Jersey
I have a Heatilator 123 in my home installed in 1973 when the home was built. Doing some renovation in my garage which has exposed the rear of the unit.

IMG_2654.JPG

It is currently wood burning, but I would like to do a gas log insert. Do I have any option that would allow me to keep my TV? I know it's a stupid place to put a flat screen, but I'm hoping to get away with it. I don't care about the heat aspect, I really just want the look/ambiance. The insulation was good old Corning pink fiberglass. Recommendations for suitable insulation followed by 5/8" gypsum? Flame away, guys...

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• IMG_2657.JPG
    IMG_2657.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 652
Last edited by a moderator:
I would not make that assumption. The vents should not be blocked. Maybe just run a fire burning DVD on the television instead.

I would not make that assumption. The vents should not be blocked. Maybe just run a fire burning DVD on the television instead.

What do you think about relocating the vents to the side?

Ok, I'm an ass. Re-read manual and now understand that the vents allow air to regulate temperature of the unit...

Last edited:
Should be ok as long as done per manual instructions.

Not to be pedantic.. But I guess I don't understand why I can't just eliminate the recirculation aspect of the Heatilator. It seems like I could use the firebox and chimney as a normal fireplace and then install an insert accordingly.

Last edited:
LCD tvs are cheap. Maybe put a 2nd screen in the fireplace and run a good fireplace DVD when ambience is desired.

LCD tvs are cheap. Maybe put a 2nd screen in the fireplace and run a good fireplace DVD when ambience is desired.
Feeling a bit facetious this morning?