Heatilator ND3933I gas fireplace - signs of life but no fire.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Djgrub

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
I've got some sign of life on my gas fireplace but no ignition, just a glow under the logs. The only thing I know for sure to do is buff the flame sensor, which I have done, and still no ignition. As far as I can tell, all gas lines are turned on. Any thoughts?
fireplace.jpg

Is the pilot lit? When you turn the unit on what happens?
Does the valve 'click' when the switch is put in the on position?
Do you have a better picture of the gas valve?

Here's a video of the guts of the fireplace.

I believe the pilot is lit. There is a little glow under the logs when I flip the power on.
No click that I can hear.
I also have a still photo of the gas valve if this video is not clear enough.

First step: how are you trying to turn it on? Wall switch, remote, etc? Check for operator error.
Second step: check all wire connections and grounds.
Third step: check for voltage on green wire to valve when you turn it on.
Fourth step: check for physical obstruction of burner orifice.
Disclaimer: this is what a technician would do. Don't try anything you are not comfortable doing.

Reactions: Djgrub
One other step to try. Take a plastic handled screwdriver & tap on the solenoid on the from of the valve...
It's the rounded metal object with the letters "NAT" stamped on it. Don't MASH it, but try giving it a sharp RAP
with the handle...

Praise the Lord! Tapped the solenoid a few times and it's working again. Thank you!
So what does this mean for the valve then? Is it still OK to use?

Reactions: DAKSY
In my experience Sometimes that along with excersizing the valve will cause the problem to go away. And Sometimes it will not and can get worse. I see this more with newer electronic valves than the millivolt valves personally.

Taking it for a jog or bicycle ride.

Sry couldn't resist. Just use it a lot.

DJgrub:
I saw your thread on the fireplace's issue in 2014 where your fireplace off and on intermittently with a clicking sound. Mine has the same problem. Did you find out what was wrong then? Thanks for your reply.

DJgrub:
I saw your thread on the fireplace's issue in 2014 where your fireplace off and on intermittently with a clicking sound. Mine has the same problem. Did you find out what was wrong then? Thanks for your reply.
Sounds to me that your unit is not getting flame rectification.
Look at the pilot assembly & make sure everything touched by the pilot flame is clean.
Steel wool works very well...

to add to Daksys comment clean both the probes and the edges of the hood that head towards the probes i have found the green brillow pads work really well just make sure that the assembly is cool first.