Heatilator removal - insert install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tvtrader

May 6, 2020
Hudson Valley
Hello,

New to the forum.
I have already installed an insert/liner into our living room. Now I am attempting to install the old insert in the basement.
I have ripped out the old heatilator and am thinking of parging the heat chamber and considering installing firebrick though I'm not sure either one is necessary.
If I do install firebrick should I put concrete behind the brick? some sites say not to do this because of expansion.
Also it is going to be a really tight fit. I have about 1/2 inch clearance on either side. Is heat a problem? the stone on the front will be close to the insert.

I would consider install this just for looks but would like the ability to use it as intended.

Would appreciate any advise.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20200419_160636.jpg
    thumbnail_20200419_160636.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 268
  • thumbnail_20200419_193447.jpg
    thumbnail_20200419_193447.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 250
It's too late, but it would have been better to leave the metal in and install an insert with a stainless liner if the intent is to use this as a fireplace.

Hello,

New to the forum.
I have already installed an insert/liner into our living room. Now I am attempting to install the old insert in the basement.
I have ripped out the old heatilator and am thinking of parging the heat chamber and considering installing firebrick though I'm not sure either one is necessary.
If I do install firebrick should I put concrete behind the brick? some sites say not to do this because of expansion.
Also it is going to be a really tight fit. I have about 1/2 inch clearance on either side. Is heat a problem? the stone on the front will be close to the insert.

I would consider install this just for looks but would like the ability to use it as intended.

Would appreciate any advise.
If you still have enough masonry thickness there you can install the insert and liner as is. Without firebrick you need 10" of solid masonry between the insert and any combustibles

It's too late, but it would have been better to leave the metal in and install an insert with a stainless liner if the intent is to use this as a fireplace.
The inner portion of the heatilator had rusted sections and the outer part was completely rusted out.
Leaving it in place would have made the insert stick out further into the room.

What insert will be going in? How tight?

What insert will be going in? How tight?
An old Timberline , here's a photo ,not mine. It's tight on the sides. I have been working on the concrete, blocking off the vents, filling in gaps. There is room for firebrick but not certain it needs them.

Attachments

• IMG_3875.JPG
    IMG_3875.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 239
An old Timberline , here's a photo ,not mine. It's tight on the sides. I have been working on the concrete, blocking off the vents, filling in gaps. There is room for firebrick but not certain it needs them.
Again if you have the required thickness of masonry there already (10") no you don't need firebrick. You will also need a liner for that insert. Probably 8"

Again if you have the required thickness of masonry there already (10") no you don't need firebrick. You will also need a liner for that insert. Probably 8"
8 inch opening, funneled down to a 6 inch liner more than likely. Do you see an issue with the insert being so close to the stone?

8 inch opening, funneled down to a 6 inch liner more than likely. Do you see an issue with the insert being so close to the stone?
No it needs an 8" liner if it is an 8" opening. And no being close to the stone isn't a problem as long as there is 10" of solid masonry before any combustibles.