Heating downstairs with a stove upstairs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stephenm

Jul 6, 2015
Socal
Hi,
I have a 2000 sq.ft 2-story home with a gas furnace (in the attic) that heats up the whole house with forced convection with 1 register in all the rooms (3 in the living room).
That living room (upstairs) also has a wood insert which we pretty much never use because we work long hours and by the time we get home, running a fire just doesn't make sense. So we only use it once in a while on week-end, mainly for coziness when we have guests.

We just finished a garage and the large room just under that living room that we used as storage is now going to be our master bedroom. Because it's large and it's got only 1 register, it's fairly difficult to get to a decent temperature.

I am toying with the idea of replacing that old wood insert by a pellet stove. While I could possibly install it in that new master bedroom, it's probably going to be more work and then we wouldn't be able to enjoy it when we have guests. Would it be possible to just replace the wood insert by a pellet stove and have some kind of forced air system to push some of the air to the master bedroom? That room is about 350-400 sq.ft.

Whether or not I install upstairs or downstairs, I think the idea of a pellet stove really makes sense as it will allow us to use a thermostat and found our home at a decent temperature when we get home. We have one of these honeywell wifi thermostat and they really helped us in those cold day winters!

Thanks
Stephen

Hi,
I have a 2000 sq.ft 2-story home with a gas furnace (in the attic) that heats up the whole house with forced convection with 1 register in all the rooms (3 in the living room).
That living room (upstairs) also has a wood insert which we pretty much never use because we work long hours and by the time we get home, running a fire just doesn't make sense. So we only use it once in a while on week-end, mainly for coziness when we have guests.

We just finished a garage and the large room just under that living room that we used as storage is now going to be our master bedroom. Because it's large and it's got only 1 register, it's fairly difficult to get to a decent temperature.

I am toying with the idea of replacing that old wood insert by a pellet stove. While I could possibly install it in that new master bedroom, it's probably going to be more work and then we wouldn't be able to enjoy it when we have guests. Would it be possible to just replace the wood insert by a pellet stove and have some kind of forced air system to push some of the air to the master bedroom? That room is about 350-400 sq.ft.

Whether or not I install upstairs or downstairs, I think the idea of a pellet stove really makes sense as it will allow us to use a thermostat and found our home at a decent temperature when we get home. We have one of these honeywell wifi thermostat and they really helped us in those cold day winters!

Thanks
Stephen

If you look at some install guides it says pellet stoves are not to be installed in bedrooms, However I think it does happen once in awhile.
Would consider checking local codes on that maybe.

Reactions: Ashful
NFPA 211 says no solid fuel heater shall be installed in a sleeping room. Which I don't really understand how it gets passed building inspectors because I see bedrooms all the time with wood fireplaces. A gas insert is allowed. If the living room is being converted to a bedroom I doubt the building inspector is going to make you pull the fireplace out of the house, I don't know. Maybe.

Yeah it doesn't make much sense but oh well :)
I guess that leaves me with trying to push some of the hot air off the stove down 4ft.
I was sure I had read something about this and I can no longer find it!

The stove is an area heater. It should be installed in the area that needs the heat.

Sounds like another case for a mini-split. :)
Mini-Split? Hmmm

You mean the small HomeDepot heat pumps?
How cost effective are they compared to a pellet stove for a ~400 sq.ft room? (not asking about the unit's price but electricity vs pellet)

Status
Not open for further replies.