Heating garage with water coil installed in seville wood furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sideline

Oct 18, 2013
northeast
I need some input please. I'm looking to add some heat to my garage with a modien or baseboard units, utilizing the hot water from a coil I'll be installing in my seville wood Forced hot air furnace that's located in my basement, same level as the garage for what it matters.

From reading the different post, chatting with different people I realize the system will require a storage tank(old hot water heater), a tempering valve, expansion tank and circulation pump.
here's my question, is there any way to eliminate the circulator pump?

Is there a way i could plumb the system so that it self circulates not requiring the pump? Garage isn't insulated well and it probably would be to costly to run a circulatory pump 24/7. If that's not possible, what s the most energy efficient circulation pump and size i could get?
Air plenum heats the house and is not capable of heating the garage too in case there's a question
thanks in advance

thanks, I've been reading up on Thermosiphon process but am unable to wrap my head around this. I'm unsure about how or if it would work in my case

If the air side cant take care of the load, Then pulling heat out with water wont either. That wood be like using a hot water tank that just makes the dhw demand, Then addind a h2o coil in some ductwork for more heat. A btu is a btu no matter how you use it.

Reactions: Fred61
That would be sort of like placing a wind generator on the roof of an electric car to charge the battery while you're going down the road. You can't get more than the old girl is able to produce.

Even if the furnace had the capacity, my limited experience with coils in an air heating device causes me to believe that you probably wouldn't be able to heat your storage enough to get luke warm air from your modine.

When I had my shop I installed a used mobile home oil furnace and it worked great. Since the hot air exits through the bottom, I just built a plenum with an angle iron frame and set the furnace on it. They were a dime a dozen at the time I got mine. You will be able to use it when needed and then shut it down and not worry about freezing pipes and you will probably have less money invested than going the route you are contemplating. I don't know how often you require heat in your garage or whether you work all day every day in there but if you only use it periodically you won't use much oil. When I would enter my shop and the temperature was about 40 in there, I switched on the furnace and within minutes I felt warm even though the temperature wasn't that high. The body is going to feel warm as long as heat is coming into it, even at 45 degrees and when the temperature is 68 or 70 and you shut down your heat the body will immediately start feeling cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.