Heating garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY12553

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
Southern NY
I have a blower in my garage that runs off the oil to keep the garage at a certain temp during the winter. I have it set for about 45 right but not sure if that is too high? My boiler, water softner etc is in a room off the garage. My bedroom is also above the garage along with a bathroom. Up until this past week it has been in the 50's by itself. Am i keeping it to high or just right?

I usually keep my garage at 50-55. My boiler, softener, weater heater are in there. I'd imagine with the garage heat turned off it would stay warm enough to not freeze though.

Yes i only bring a couple of days worth at a time
Ok, good. The reason I ask is because you post this in the woodshed forum, I was just trying to confirm the link between oil heating your garage and firewood.
My garage is separate from my house, and functions more as a shop. I have a wood stove in there that I use to heat it, but since I'm not out there all the time, most of the time I only try and keep it just warm enough that things don't freeze, and that requires getting a fire going in the stove every other day or so, so the effective temperature range fluctuates between +33 F and +90 F.

Ok, good. The reason I ask is because you post this in the woodshed forum, I was just trying to confirm the link between oil heating your garage and firewood.
My garage is separate from my house, and functions more as a shop. I have a wood stove in there that I use to heat it, but since I'm not out there all the time, most of the time I only try and keep it just warm enough that things don't freeze, and that requires getting a fire going in the stove every other day or so, so the effective temperature range fluctuates between +33 F and +90 F.

didn't know where to post the question....so the answer to the question is to keep it above freezing which is usually not a challenge but last week was

Status
Not open for further replies.