Heating loop Diagram help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzz Saw

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2014
Attica, Ohio
Well here goes. I'm installing my Garn and right now I'm working on the floor heat in my pole barn(which is currently were my family is living during our remodel).

I've read a ton of stuff over the last few years but sometimes things get fuzzy with data overload. So I'm asking you guys for some help & confirmation on my system. Nothing on this side of the plate exchanger is installed yet. I'm hoping to be heating by Saturday, Sunday at the latest.

A few questions.
1. In my diagram is this the proper layout for all the parts in the system?

2.Do I need to move anything? Before or after the pump?

3. Can I put the relief vavle on top of my expansion tank using a cross?

4. I bought just a relief value, no temperature, is that ok?

5. Should the air scoop be the highest point in the loop?

Edit: 6. Should I have a high point for a spigot to bleed air when I'm starting up for thr first time?

I'm sure I missed something, hoping nothing to big.

Thanks guys

Heating loop Diagram  help

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
For purging/draining the loops I couldn't recommend "webstone propals" more. They are great valves. Just be sure you install them the right way.

I'll let others chime in on the diagram though. I don't want to steer you wrong.

Conventional wisdom would have you put the air scoop and expansion tank on the inlet side of the circulator. From what I've seen that's a serious consideration on big systems due to reduced risk of cavitation, but perhaps not as critical on smaller systems. It will do a better job of purging air if you can do it that way since air comes out of water better at lower pressure.

Maybe something to think about is how are you going to vent the recirc loop when the mix valve is closed (100% recirc), unless you do it through the press. relief valve?

Forget that-it's a mix valve for the floor heat, so I guess that loop will always see flow?

Maybe something to think about is how are you going to vent the recirc loop when the mix valve is closed (100% recirc), unless you do it through the press. relief valve?
Why would the mix valve be closed all the way? Wouldn't it always be pulling in some hot water?

Why would the mix valve be closed all the way? Wouldn't it always be pulling in some hot water?

Yeah, I edited my original post. I was thinking boiler recirc. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.