Heating pellet vs wood, which is cheaper in the new economy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Edrrt

Nov 19, 2019
Sonoma
I have both but will be adding stoves to a new cabin. About 1800 sq ft.

Hardwood is about $410 a cord locally.

Pellets $320/ ton.

However does that ton of pellets heat more than the cord of wood due to heat exchangers and efficiency?

Does anyone know what the real world comparison is like?

Supposedly a ton of pellets is the equivalent of 1.2 to 1.5 cords of wood. Probably depends on what pellet you are burning as well as the stove it is being burned in.

However, if that cabin won't be used/heated all the time, it may make more sense to use cordwood since a pellet stove is usually more expensive than a wood stove to begin with. Not sure about the difference in what the chimney pipe would cost, or which would be more expensive.

Also, you can store cord wood on top of some pallets and under a tarp (or other fairly cheap covering). Unless you already have a place to store the tonnage of pellets inside the cabin, you might have to build a shelter.

Reactions: scajjr2
One advantage of a woodstove is you don’t need power. If the cabin is in an area where the power is iffy, and you don’t really even need power that bad, I’d go cordwood. Otherwise you’d have to run a generator just for the sake of running the stove.

If it is just a weekend /vacation cabin then I would go for a wood stove
A pellet stove is more for long-term constant heat than a quick heat up
over a weekend.
I also see from my experience with a wood stove and a pellet stove .
In the room we heated with wood then switched to pellets and found that with
hardwood (sugar maple) it took 4 cords of wood to get the same heat as
3 tons of pellets. Pellets were a more constant and comfortable heat

I use both in a small home. This is my first winter using the pellet stove is my primary heat. I've taken others advice and I am burning low and slow and 24/7. My little lopi wood burner is new and although I love the heat from the wood stove, I find myself leaning towards the pellet stove for the heat constancy. Burning in the wood stove is a bipolar experience with hot and cold cycles lol I pay about equal for cordwood or pellets. I'm 62 and right now I am still strong enough to schlep the 40 lb bags one at a time. I don't know what will happen when I'm not strong enough to carry them.

I use both, got a pellet/corn stove in the house and a wood stove in the attached garage. I prefer the convenience of the pellet stove but the wood stove heats up the garage quick and is cheap security if the power goes out. Cost wise, this years derecho gave me a cord or so of free firewood and my neighbor has offered me as much as I can use of his lifetime supply of down wood.

I use both in a small home. This is my first winter using the pellet stove is my primary heat. I've taken others advice and I am burning low and slow and 24/7. My little lopi wood burner is new and although I love the heat from the wood stove, I find myself leaning towards the pellet stove for the heat constancy. Burning in the wood stove is a bipolar experience with hot and cold cycles lol I pay about equal for cordwood or pellets. I'm 62 and right now I am still strong enough to schlep the 40 lb bags one at a time. I don't know what will happen when I'm not strong enough to carry them.
You will break them down into smaller portions. A balanced load is best; like a bucket in each hand...

Reactions: VintageGal
Maybe even a wagon with big wheels?

I'm sure you'll figure it out..."vintage" means experience, ingenuity, and wisdom.

we've taken to hauling loads of wood right in the back door on a calf sled. It slides on the snow and right up the deck stairs and onto the door sill and right into the back porch. About 100 lbs of wood or more lickety-split.😁

1670289820099.jpeg

similar to this..

I'm looking for a small narrow hand truck so I can wheel the baga through the front door up to the stove. I'll figure it out one way or another.
I have this same cart. Works good for bringing in a bag at a time. The air tires help it get over the door sill easily, and go over soft ground or dirt.

I usually just carry a bag in, but this is a big help when I’m not feeling up to it.

After that I can use a feed scoop to load the stove, for times that I can’t lift the bag.

Only difference is I bought mine 15-20 years ago and paid $20 new. Used it for countless things, including bringing in the pellet stove.

3C198117-1932-495F-957D-482AE0D1E313.png

Being old and decrepit I don't lift much of anything heavier than a 40 pound bag, and got a plan for when I can't do that. My home is well stocked with dollies and 2 wheelers that convert to 4 wheel carts and a "cherry picker" engine hoist that rarely actually hoists an engine. Whole house and shop is all single level with no stairs too, so I'm ready for whatever life throws at me next. Most stores will load pellet bags to your vehicle or trailer, my plan is to slide them on a cart and roll them in, if I can get them up on the stove I'll slit the bags and dump them in a big container, then use a scoop to transfer them to the stove hopper.

New Economy?

New Economy?

A cord of wood used to be $200 with a $25 delivery and $50 stacking charge in 2018.

Now it's $410 with an $80 delivery charge and stacking at $60 at hour.

Pellets haven't moved as much. Currently they are around $320 a ton and you can still find them in the off-season for around $275 a ton. Delivery is often free from the box stores with an account.

Another major factor is that the new modern EPA rated wood stoves seem to be really neutered regarding heat output. I think this is because they are designed to keep all the heat in the firebox for more complete combustion and lower emissions rather than putting it out into the room.

I got a new California compliant Jotul F500 and absolutely hate it. It will barely steam a pot of water, and you can put your hand on it for a second with a rolling fire inside. Even with it rolling 24/7 the furnace is still kicking on every 30 minutes or so.

Before it I had a Kent tilefire. That thing would get so hot you could light wood on the side of it. It cooked as fast as a gas stove and we often used it exclusively for cooking for that reason. It would blow the doors off the house in an hour, furnace was never used. And people might make claims about efficiency but I don't see the newer stove using any less wood.

At least a pellet stove has a heat exchanger on it and so I figure you might get a lot more heat into the room with one per pound of wood than a modern California compliant EPA tier 10 wood stove.

I had sort of wondered if anyone had made the switch from a newer wood stove to a pellet stove and noticed a significant difference wood versus pellet consumption for equivalent heating?

I have this same cart. Works good for bringing in a bag at a time. The air tires help it get over the door sill easily, and go over soft ground or dirt.

I usually just carry a bag in, but this is a big help when I’m not feeling up to it.

After that I can use a feed scoop to load the stove, for times that I can’t lift the bag.

Only difference is I bought mine 15-20 years ago and paid $20 new. Used it for countless things, including bringing in the pellet stove.

View attachment 304653
I have one of these --but the bags scrape the wheels 🤷

Last week pellets wer $250 a ton here. $325 this week. Wish I had bought more than one ton last week. This is going to be an expensive winter.

$359 plus tax here. I will spend $1,200 on pellets this winter. I am skipping lunch and eating two meals per day. Heat or eat 🙏

$360 for ashy Green Supremes here (they were $350 last month and about $300 last spring). Interestingly the local TSC is still holding their price at $305 (probably MWPs). - we'll see how long that lasts.

A cord of wood used to be $200 with a $25 delivery and $50 stacking charge in 2018.

Now it's $410 with an $80 delivery charge and stacking at $60 at hour.

Pellets haven't moved as much. Currently they are around $320 a ton and you can still find them in the off-season for around $275 a ton. Delivery is often free from the box stores with an account.

Another major factor is that the new modern EPA rated wood stoves seem to be really neutered regarding heat output. I think this is because they are designed to keep all the heat in the firebox for more complete combustion and lower emissions rather than putting it out into the room.

I got a new California compliant Jotul F500 and absolutely hate it. It will barely steam a pot of water, and you can put your hand on it for a second with a rolling fire inside. Even with it rolling 24/7 the furnace is still kicking on every 30 minutes or so.

Before it I had a Kent tilefire. That thing would get so hot you could light wood on the side of it. It cooked as fast as a gas stove and we often used it exclusively for cooking for that reason. It would blow the doors off the house in an hour, furnace was never used. And people might make claims about efficiency but I don't see the newer stove using any less wood.

At least a pellet stove has a heat exchanger on it and so I figure you might get a lot more heat into the room with one per pound of wood than a modern California compliant EPA tier 10 wood stove.

I had sort of wondered if anyone had made the switch from a newer wood stove to a pellet stove and noticed a significant difference wood versus pellet consumption for equivalent heating?
I agree they neutered the wood stove!