Heatmaster, P&M questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rugar

Oct 12, 2008
East central KS
Had an EKO 25 that died in fire. Getting close to replacing. Considering Heatmaster g or GS 100 or Portage and Main bl 25-34. Insurance coverage of 10,000 is holding me to these choices. Originally wanted a gassifier or Switzer. Willing to consider p&m ultimizer bl because of good reputation and built well while giving me flexability of coal or not perfect wood in times of short supply of good wood (it's not right but happens). Is there something I'm missing or option I'm missing. Starting to lean to heatmaster g or gs. The thin firebox concerns me for longevity and is it worth 1500 for g over gs.
To many questions for one post but give me your thoughts
Thanks

Had an EKO 25 that died in fire. Getting close to replacing. Considering Heatmaster g or GS 100 or Portage and Main bl 25-34. Insurance coverage of 10,000 is holding me to these choices. Originally wanted a gassifier or Switzer. Willing to consider p&m ultimizer bl because of good reputation and built well while giving me flexability of coal or not perfect wood in times of short supply of good wood (it's not right but happens). Is there something I'm missing or option I'm missing. Starting to lean to heatmaster g or gs. The thin firebox concerns me for longevity and is it worth 1500 for g over gs.
To many questions for one post but give me your thoughts
Thanks
If you have propane or ng for back up heat, prices right now are so low you could save for a year or two and get what you want instead of what's feasible right now. It might make you happier in the long run? Just a thought.

I have a g200. I have been running it for two years now. Great product. Not sure what you are referring to as "thin" jacket. It is stainless as well, you are required yearly to send your water for free testing to make sure it's within limits for water chemistry and if not they tell you how much to add to fix it. I have the g series as the gs series just came out this year. I do like my gassification window and exterior shaker handle but you could live without that stuff. The smoke bypass is great but you could go without that too. I had a conventional before and I know the ultimizer is a little more effecient but I would still never go back to a non gasser.

I'm using insurance money to buy the new setup and suppose I could draw it out a few years but I'm sure they would like to get it finished. Also my house isn't efficient and uses 8-10 gallons of propane per day at times. That's expensive. Also my wife likes it really warm and wood is the only way I can accomplish that.