heatmor or less

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabguy01

Sep 1, 2008
Ravenna Michigan
a neighbor of mine dropped this off for me to fix yesterday and a picture is worth a thousand words READ THE MANUAL AND FOLLOW THE WATER TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS!!! And this is 409 stainless

Attachments

• 100_0515.JPG
    100_0515.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 409
  • 100_0516.JPG
    100_0516.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 394
  • 100_0517.JPG
    100_0517.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 388
  • 100_0518.JPG
    100_0518.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 416
  • 100_0521.JPG
    100_0521.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 412
This is the same problem that I had with a whs 500. Anywhere the sediment can sit it will cause corrosion/electrolysis. You might be able to cut 1"-2" off all around the bottom and weld in some rect. or sq. tubing. Build a box frame, you don't necessarily need the water to fill the tubing just create a false bottom to maintain height or just plate over and live with the shorter height?, thinking out loud...

Weld in some couplings for future cleaning/flushing in the corners. Not real sure on how the 409 will bond with the carbon steel but it seems to work fine on some exhaust systems I fixed.

The term "stainless steel" is primarily a marketing term, not an engineering term. It's applied to hundreds of alloys (and now in the days of asian imported material, applied to nobody knows for sure what).
I think it is used too often to give the consumer a false sense of durability and extra value worth a higher price. Sometimes the value is there, sometimes not. Even the most exotic and expensive alloys will corrode under certain, if rare, circumstances. My 13 year-old pickup has an original exhaust system that is still in good shape. It's probably the same alloy as this boiler, 409. Different application, different result.

cut out a section along one side, about 1/4 inch and found no corrosion problems exept right in the corners where they weded in alittle square to make up the corners :-S . maybee they used a different grade of stainless in the corners? anyway he said go ahead and do it right so i will be cutting off about 1/4 inch all the way around the bottom and replacing it. What to use for the replacement still to be decided.

Status
Not open for further replies.