Heavy Smoking After Reloading

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the same problem identifying my smoke dragon a few years ago, and with smoking on reloads. The most positive thing I can say is that it taught me to pay attention to my wood and burning habits, so that when I got a real stove it was heaven.
I can't find the model anywhere, but I have a plan >> now. From what the others have told me on opening it up upon reload and slowly closing it down seems to help a bunch. I was very frustrated because I thought my semi-wet wood was causing all the smoke so I bought a cord and a half of dry oak and it was still smoking like crazy.

Yep, I'm looking forward to having a more modern stove next season!

Be careful with the Oak. It really does take about 3 years to dry.
It may not be as dry as you think. It may be, I don't know how long ago it was split. But about 3 years after split is optimal.

Be careful with the Oak. It really does take about 3 years to dry.
It may not be as dry as you think. It may be, I don't know how long ago it was split. But about 3 years after split is optimal.
Wow! That is a long time to dry. I'm not sure how long this has been drying, but doubt it's been that long.

Take a few thick splits and resplit them. Then, retest the moisture content on the freshly exposed wood face of the split.

Take a few thick splits and resplit them. Then, retest the moisture content on the freshly exposed wood face of the split.
I'll have to do that as soon as I get new batteries for my MM. It just started giving some funky inconsistent readings.

How was this insert installed? Is there a liner in the chimney and if so what size? If no liner, is there at least a stub over the damper area and a block off plate?

How was this insert installed? Is there a liner in the chimney and if so what size? If no liner, is there at least a stub over the damper area and a block off plate?
Unfortunately I am poor this year and that's why I'm heating with wood vs oil furnace. There is no liner, it just vents into a clay flue liner. What is a stub?

Agreed. The lack of any liner or even a stub past the damper area is most likely the issue. This is a potentially dangerous situation, especially if the fireplace liner is large or very cold.

Agreed. The lack of any liner or even a stub past the damper area is most likely the issue. This is a potentially dangerous situation, especially if the fireplace liner is large or very cold.
What is a stub?? Ever since I last night when I followed the advice of others in this thread on reload techniques I have had very very little smoke. My neighbor just dropped by and he said he didn't even know I was burning because he didn't see any smoke ;)

Thanks to all who contributed to thread with the burn techniques after a reload- it was extremely helpful!

A stubbed installation has the pipe stubbed up past the damper plate by at least a foot or more and is sealed off with a block off plate.

upload_2013-12-29_16-7-17.png

A stubbed installation has the pipe stubbed up past the damper plate by at least a foot or more and is sealed off with a block off plate.

View attachment 122080
Ok. Thanks for the explanation and diagram! Do chimney liner places sell the parts to do a "stubbed install?" I don't think I can afford a full insulated liner this year and this maybe an option to increase safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.