Well, it happened- Chimney fire.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin92

Nov 11, 2012
Jackson, MI, USA
I am still shaking a bit as I type this. Let me start with the fact that my Dad is the most stubborn human being in the world, and although I did get him to look down the chimney this fall, he said it was fine and wouldn't clean it. He loves to keep the fire as low as possible, and uses the bypass damper to control the fire. Ok, here we go- I was downstairs this afternoon trying to get his smoldering pile if wet logs burning, and the chimney started rumbling. Uh oh... I closed the bypass, closed both air intakes and shoved some foil in the cat air intake. I then went outside and saw black smoke and creosote billowing from the chimney. I ran back inside and upstairs yelling "I think the chimney is on fire". I then went back downstairs, ran a glass of water and threw it on the now smoldering wood. I got rather shook up, and then ran out the front door to see what was going on. I met one of our neighbors, who yelled across the street "are you having a chimney fire?", to which I replied I think so. I then looked up and saw flames from the chimney, and ran back inside to find my Dad opening the damper and intakes back up! I just went into panic mode and don't remember a whole lot until about 5 minutes later when 2 fire trucks came up our street, lights and sirens going. One of our neighbors had seen the flames and called 911. 6 or 8 Firemen (all dressed in fire suits and smoke masks of course) came inside and first checked the attic, then went downstairs and proceeded to check out the stove, first asking me if we had been burning anything in the stove today (seriously?), then asked where the "flue" was. I was a bit confused by that one.. I almost said- "in the chimney, right where it belongs!" One of the men then opened the stove (with bypass still closed, and watched as smoke poured inside. I then, relatively calmly told him that the DAMPER is right there! No matter, he opened and closed the damper several times, pouring smoke each time. By now, two different smoke alarms are going off, and another fireman comes downstairs with full garb and a large extinguisher, and walks straight into the ceiling fan, nearly knocking it down. My Dad had gone up in the attic with 3 or 4 of them and I was downstairs dealing with the mess. Nobody ever went on the roof, and they told us to stay home all night and carefully watch things as the remaining wood burns out. They took temp readings of the chimney and walls, and told us we needed to clean the chimney. After the firemen and fire trucks had left, and our neighbors had gone back inside, my Dad told me "I wish they hadn't come so it could have just burned out" :0! I said "Houses burn down EVERY DAY from chimney fires, and you think this is no big deal? He then commented "WELL then buy a creosote log and burn it!" I went off a bit after that, but I think I finally got through to him, maybe somewhere about "If that chimney isn't cleaned I'm taking a sledge hammer to the stove" he finally settled down and we agreed it would be best to just let it go out and clean the chimney before it is re lit. I even offered to help (I am terrified of ladders) He is still acting like I'm an idiot, I may be young but I'm not stupid (21 vs. 63), and I'm not risking my life and my family's just because he can't be bothered to clean the chimney. I guess things could have turned out much worse had it happened while we were all asleep upstairs.

you are the wise one, glad all is ok

Sounds like you need to get rid of those wet logs of his too while your at it. I'm sure your frustrated I would agree there is absolutely no excuse for that kind of stupidy. To put your family at risk like that is absurd.

Pay someone professionally to clean it for him, make it his next birthday present....

Sounds like you need to get rid of those wet logs of his too while your at it. I'm sure your frustrated I would agree there is absolutely no excuse for that kind of stupidy. To put your family at risk like that is absurd.

Its tough when you know the right thing to do and everyone "in charge" is clueless. Scary but sounds like you did all the right things.

Not only does it need to be cleaned, but also inspected real good.
Is there a stainless liner? Is this a slammer install?
Photos?
Glad you & the family are okay, that is what is truly important.

Happy you're all ok.... follow Hogz' questions...

It is a slammer install in a ~60 year old brick chimney. The firemen took temp readings on the chimney and walls, and no part was over 86 degrees, which is about normal. I went up in the attic and the chimney was lukewarm. I will try to post pics when we clean it, hopefully within the next couple days.

Given your father's burning habits, and the chimney fire(any prior?), you may want to think about lining that with a full S.S. liner.
Slammer is not the install to have with those kind of burning habits.
Just concerned, not being an asshat.

I don't know if there has ever been a fire before, but no smoke came inside until the stove was opened, and we really don't have the extra money to put in a liner. I would much rather totally remove the. insert, and light candles in the fireplace.

Very scary and it sounds like you acted quickly to get it under control. We deal with folks like your father all the time and I feel your pain. Hogwildz is correct, now is the time to have a NCSG certified sweep inspect your chimney because after this fire it is likely that one or many tiles are cracked or worse. In full blown raging flue fire temps can reach ~2000 degrees and existing cracks can spread open 1/4" or more.

Be prepared though as your sweep may refuse to put that stove back into service without a liner as a minimum. A 'slammer' is against all the rules and his business and your safety are at risk. From the sounds of it your father may not like what he hears. But maybe this will motivate a change for safety sake.

Best wishes

Edit; it took me a few minutes write this but the info may still be relevant

Do you rely on the insert for heat, or is it more ambiance? If you don't need it for heat. Then let it collect dust for a while, till it can be properly lined &/or replaced.

We don't *need* it for heat, but my Dad is cheap and he has a bunch of mostly still wet wood that he got for free in the fall of 2012. We burned it last year and this year, and I try to burn as clean and hot as possible when he isn't smoldering it. Hopefully we will clean it in the next couple days (I told him if he starts a fire I'm pouring water on it!) and I will look at it to see if there is any obvious damage. Unfortunately there is no way he will hire a sweep or inspection, I would but I'm currently not working. His mindset is that he has burned wood for 50 years and if the smoke goes up the chimney its fine. I haven't been on the roof (yet), but my Dad says the chimney is 2 or 3 layers thick of bricks. To tell the truth I'm terrified to light another fire, even after it's been cleaned. I used to enjoy starting and tending the fire.

Your dad is obtuse and is very lucky the house didn't burn down or harm anyone. To get your father on board, call the fire department back and ask them to fine your dad for violating fire code. I bet that will get his attention.

"If that chimney isn't cleaned I'm taking a sledge hammer to the stove" he finally settled down and we agreed it would be best to just let it go out and clean the chimney before it is re lit. I even offered to help
I'm giving you a big gold star for that!

Reactions: Adamkyr
Wow. I am glad to hear that everything ended up OK (other than a broken ceiling fan and some indoor smoke).

I agree with Hogz. Get it inspected properly. Consider an insulated liner and get the man some dry wood (if possible....) And for Pete's sake, if you dad uses the internet, create him a hearth.com account!!!!

Arguing with fathers when you are 21 and he is 63 is never easy. If he's anything like my dad, I could become a Supreme Court Judge and he would argue with me until he dies about any particular law. It's simply bullheaded genetics.

Reactions: Ashful
You can also threaten to fill the insert with wet cement.

I'm glad you and your family are ok. Is there any way you can get your Mom on your side?

Wow. I am glad to hear that everything ended up OK (other than a broken ceiling fan and some indoor smoke).

I agree with Hogz. Get it inspected properly. Consider an insulated liner and get the man some dry wood (if possible....) And for Pete's sake, if you dad uses the internet, create him a hearth.com account!!!!

Arguing with fathers when you are 21 and he is 63 is never easy. If he's anything like my dad, I could become a Supreme Court Judge and he would argue with me until he dies about any particular law. It's simply bullheaded genetics.

I could probably find some dry wood, we have gotten some dry pallets from the hardware store around the corner. Internet? he still uses a rotary phone.. Ok, he does have a cell phone. I guess bullheaded pretty much sums it up, he just does things how they have always been done, whether right or wrong.

You can also threaten to fill the insert with wet cement.

I'm glad you and your family are ok. Is there any way you can get your Mom on your side?
I have already threatened to see how much water it will hold, wet cement would be a bad idea- he would just set a fire on top of it- to dry the cement. My Mom is on my side- she agrees it is dangerous as is, but won't say a word to my Dad about it.

Log on to here and throw the laptop at him, with an "I'm not an expert but these guys are". Best of luck to you, that is scary stuff.

Wow glad you were there and acted as quickly as you did. That was a very dangerous situation. Hope dad changes his burning practices before someone gets hurt burned or worse.

Ok, I know this sounds crazy, but is it possible that there could be still something smoldering either in the chimney or even a wall? I'm truly afraid to go to bed even though the wood is long gone- maybe a few coals left but that's it. I have checked the wall upstairs several times and it has gone from a very normal lukewarm to cold, but I am just paranoid I guess.

Ok, I know this sounds crazy, but is it possible that there could be still something smoldering either in the chimney or even a wall? I'm truly afraid to go to bed even though the wood is long gone- maybe a few coals left but that's it. I have checked the wall upstairs several times and it has gone from a very normal lukewarm to cold, but I am just paranoid I guess.

Its not crazy, I had a scare early on and checked the attic and outside walls a hundred times. Check it again but you're probably out of the woods.

I just checked things out again, the wood is gone, but still a pretty good bed of coals. I closed the air down completely, just to cut off any draft if there was something still in the chimney, and checked the upstairs wall in front of the chimney (the next floor above the stove), and there were a few areas that were decently lukewarm. I doubt it is anything to worry about, but still unsettling to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.