HECO 520 Wood Cook Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Siloah04

Oct 16, 2022
New Vienna, OH
Hello:
We live in SW Ohio New Vienna/Hillsboro areas. We purchased the Heco 520 wood cook stove to heat our old 2,500 sq.ft. farmhouse which has new doors and windows and insulation. The Heco 520 advertises to heat up to 2500 sqft. Our stove is in center of house-dining room (10' ceiling) next to LR 10' ceiling kitchen and other room adjoin dining room where stove is located 7' ceilings. In LR there is stairway up to 2nd floor. We have propane heat with ductwork. I was wondering any one who has used a Heco 520 about their thoughts of heating and cooking. Thanks, Mark & Family

We haven't heard a lot of comments on this stove. It's a clean looking stove with a big firebox, so it might work out ok. The operative word is "up to" 2500 sq ft. Sometimes this may work for a house in GA, but not ME. Or it may heat a 2500 sq ft house ok in Nov. but not in January. It really depends on the heat loss of the house and outside temps.

I look forward to hearing more about your experiences with this big boy. Let us know how it is working not only for heating but for cooking too.

We haven't heard a lot of comments on this stove. It's a clean looking stove with a big firebox, so it might work out ok. The operative word is "up to" 2500 sq ft. Sometimes this may work for a house in GA, but not ME. Or it may heat a 2500 sq ft house ok in Nov. but not in January. It really depends on the heat loss of the house and outside temps.

I look forward to hearing more about your experiences with this big boy. Let us know how it is working not only for heating but for cooking too.
We were going to go with the KQ Grand Comfort 750 which says up to 3,000 sqft. However, we liked the look of the Heco 520 and our Amish/Mennonite friends around here heat their homes with the Heco and KQ. We hope to tell you that we are warm here in SW Ohio despite January's temps. We will be putting vidoes on heating, cooking, and baking with the HECO 520 for others to make a decision. If Heco 520 works we keep it for next year, if not, we sell it and buy Grand Comfort 750 for next year and go through same routine....hopefulling, one will work out. Hoping again that new windows, doors, and insulation will make a difference - or coal will help too. Thanks for response, we noticed there has not been many comments on this stove, so we hope to help everyone else make a wise decision. God bless, Mark & Family New Vienna, OH Highland County.

Improved insulation and sealing of the house are good investments. It sounds like there's a good chance this will work out. I'm looking forward to learning more about the Heco.