Hedge wood, How much is too much to add?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
So it's crazy cold and my Progress Hybrid it keeping up but the furnace does turn on at night/ early morning but thats ok, it will keep the pipes warm in the basement. So I have been mixing 2-3 Hedge splits with my other splits of Ash, Honey Locust, Some Oak and Elm. I can add any where from 6-8 splits depending on the size of the splits. I know Hedge burns HOT but how much is to much at once in the stove? I have NEVER added 100% Hedge and I most likely never will.
I should check the moisture, it's been split and stacked for about 4 years now. I just covered it before the snow started.

Fespo

I don't burn a lot of hedge, but I do burn a lot of locust and they are in the same family of tree and pretty close on heat produced etc. I load both stoves up with locust all the time especially in this cold and I have no issues. I say try a small load if nervous but you should be fine just watch the air and enjoy the heat and show.