Hehehehe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Touch0Gray

Feb 8, 2020
Wi
Love the way this guy adds thermal mass to the stove, saw this for sale this morning. Wonder if the rocks come with it?
Screenshot_20200310-082518.jpg

That's not thermal mass, those are bed warmers ;)

Some European stoves are designed to hold stones on top and around the flue pipe. Some have rock chambers several feet high. Kind of like a modern tile stove. Morso used to list a stove with optional top sections to hold stones but I don't see it listed anymore. I bet the 2020 regs have a hand in this.

Some European stoves are designed to hold stones on top and around the flue pipe. Some have rock chambers several feet high. Kind of like a modern tile stove. Morso used to list a stove with optional top sections to hold stones but I don't see it listed anymore. I bet the 2020 regs have a hand in this.

My stones are designed to hold a wood burner, don't get me wrong, I am not arguing the virtues of rocks..... Just technique. I can honestly say that I have done it as well.
20200208_163634.jpg

I'll take a few hundred pounds of cast iron jacket and trivets instead.

Reactions: webby3650
Rocks are free

Keep an eye on the floor joists.

I keep a rock on my stove. Its two superpowers are looking like a potato and stopping the air vent from rattling at certain fan speeds.

The guy in the photo is losing heat. He might be adding surface area, but he's covering steel with something much less thermally conductive. That heat goes up the flue instead of going into the house.

The ones up on the racks probably aren't hurting him, but the flat ones covering the stovetop are.

Keep an eye on the floor joists.
If that was directed at my pic, no worries, that masonry is, for all practical purposes, part of the earth, 4' x 6' x4' thick on top of 120' of virgin sand and gravel. The whole house moves around the masonry. It has been there since 1987, not going anywhere.

I'm going nuts trying to find the European stove with built in stone storage. It was a cylindrical stove with a top vent and segments that went on top and around the flue pipe. There were two or three segments you could add.

If that was directed at my pic, no worries, that masonry is, for all practical purposes, part of the earth, 4' x 6' x4' thick on top of 120' of virgin sand and gravel. The whole house moves around the masonry. It has been there since 1987, not going anywhere.

I was referring to the first photo you posted. Add up the hearth, stove and stones and that is pretty heavy for that footprint.

I was referring to the first photo you posted. Add up the hearth, stove and stones and that is pretty heavy for that footprint.
OK, lol, yeah he probably has 250-300 pounds of rock huh? (about 200 pounds per cubic foot). Maybe it's on a slab? Looks like ceramic tile under it. It popped up on "market place" so I have no idea. He wants $500, wondering if that includes the rocks.