Helko Vario Scandinavian Splitting Axe - 1600G

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
►►OhioBurner◄◄™

I find it hard to believe that you are having such trouble busting large rounds of those species.....

Well for the bigger rounds I start with with the 2300......

Southbound. I use rubber protectors on my wooden maul handles. Would those work on a Helko Vario?

southbound said:
►►OhioBurner◄◄™

I find it hard to believe that you are having such trouble busting large rounds of those species.....

Well for the bigger rounds I start with with the 2300......

Southbound, I never claimed to be Paul B... and fare far better in cross country races than strongman competitions. With that being said I do believe I can swing a maul with the best of em. The average size pieces I can send flying to the neighbors yard... however the larger ones just dont want to split. Many say they split easier in freezing temps so I actually went out today (was in teens) to split one of the big locust rounds. This was one of the larger ones, about 24" length and diameter around 18". I started near the outside, maybe 3" in and took about 5-6 hits to chip off a piece. I was able to work around the block and got it down to one roughly 8x12 piece that I wanted to just split in half. Was not able to. Even after splitting all the outside around the whole thing I took a dozen swings at the center and it never split. Guess I need to do some more curls.

When I encounter something like this I use the 2300 and I will swing like I want to split it in half but I aim for the edge.. Really hard stuff takes a few swings but almost always starts a crack through the middle...

Status
Not open for further replies.