Hello, all you Inglenookers! Long time no post..........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
I just realized I haven't posted since 2016. Hubby and I are still kicking and staying warm with our Oslo.

We are both older, not necessarily wiser. Still splitting/hauling/burning wood. No chimney fires so far. :)

In my signature line is the date we installed our woodstove - Yikes! It's coming up on 10 years.

I looked around a bit and recognized some of the 'oldies' and a whole bunch of 'newbies'. This is the best place for newbies, folks. Hang around and you will learn a lot.

So......... just thought I'd say "Keep burning and stay toasty!"

Shari

Reactions: thewoodlands
I just realized I haven't posted since 2016. Hubby and I are still kicking and staying warm with our Oslo.

We are both older, not necessarily wiser. Still splitting/hauling/burning wood. No chimney fires so far. :)

In my signature line is the date we installed our woodstove - Yikes! It's coming up on 10 years.

I looked around a bit and recognized some of the 'oldies' and a whole bunch of 'newbies'. This is the best place for newbies, folks. Hang around and you will learn a lot.

So......... just thought I'd say "Keep burning and stay toasty!"

Shari
Good hearing from you again Shari, how's the weather in your area?

Zap

Welcome back Shari. Hope you are staying warm and healthy.

BG: Older but still healthy. Thanks for asking - and you?

ZAP: I think it was -12 windchill last night. We "finally" got some snow. It was a snow-less Christmas around here.

Hubby and I totally wore out our 'ol standby Craftsman rider that I used as a wood hauler. The mower deck pooped out years ago and steering was really sloppy but otherwise it was a good tractor - it bit the dust after about 25 yrs of service so we can't complain. We bought a shiny red Simplicity riding mower and also use it around the yard to move wood. Problem is, it is also our snowblower in winter and I can't hook the wood trailer on it when the snowblower is on - too much weight for it. So, I am in the market for a 15 hp rider w/o deck, a hydrostatic tranny would be great.

I have finally become adjusted to the pintel hitch on the utility trailer. Our adult sons are not fans of it - I tell them having that type of hitch is actually a theft deterrent as not many thieves have ever even seen a pintel hitch. :)

Welcome back Shari . . . assuming that the blue black finish of that Oslo looks just as good as it did the day you bought the stove!

Welcome back Shari . . . assuming that the blue black finish of that Oslo looks just as good as it did the day you bought the stove!

You betcha it does look as good as new! As I recall your Oslo is not blue/black.......... awwww..... :)

Reactions: firefighterjake
You betcha it does look as good as new! As I recall your Oslo is not blue/black.......... awwww..... :)

My one "regret" . . . if I had only known at the time I would have, should have ponied up the extra money for the blue black vs. matte black paint. Still . . . cannot complain . . . it's been a good stove and I've been warm for the past 12 years.

My one "regret" . . . if I had only known at the time I would have, should have ponied up the extra money for the blue black vs. matte black paint. Still . . . cannot complain . . . it's been a good stove and I've been warm for the past 12 years.

If I recall correctly we bought the stove we did based a lot on your positive comments about the Oslo. You didn't lead us wrong.

I can't believe we have had ours for just shy of 10 years. We have become "Wood Stove Snobs" - preferring to heat with wood vs our furnace. Yes, we still have our furnace and maybe (a very big maybe) go through one 250 tank of oil per season. We only use the furnace if hubby has health a crisis (he's often apt to do that) or if we go out of town for an extended time during the heating season. We actually had the furnace cleaned this season. I 'think' we had it cleaned about 8 years ago. I absolutely freeze when visiting family during the winter - they all heat with gas.

"Wood Stove Snobs" - yup, that's what we are. ")

If I recall correctly we bought the stove we did based a lot on your positive comments about the Oslo. You didn't lead us wrong.

I can't believe we have had ours for just shy of 10 years. We have become "Wood Stove Snobs" - preferring to heat with wood vs our furnace. Yes, we still have our furnace and maybe (a very big maybe) go through one 250 tank of oil per season. We only use the furnace if hubby has health a crisis (he's often apt to do that) or if we go out of town for an extended time during the heating season. We actually had the furnace cleaned this season. I 'think' we had it cleaned about 8 years ago. I absolutely freeze when visiting family during the winter - they all heat with gas.

"Wood Stove Snobs" - yup, that's what we are. ")

Glad to hear I didn't steer you wrong.

Time goes by fast doesn't it . . . older I get the faster it goes by.

I think we're pretty similar. We still have the oil boiler as back up heat as well, but it doesn't get a huge amount of use -- I think so far this year I've gone through 79 gallons of oil. As you say, the wood heat is just so nice and it's nice to save the money . . . but at the same time it's nice to have the back up heat for when you're gone, sick, etc.

And yes, I know the feeling about freezing when visiting other folks . . . every time I visit my brother in law in CT I about near freeze to death.

BG: Older but still healthy. Thanks for asking - and you?

ZAP: I think it was -12 windchill last night. We "finally" got some snow. It was a snow-less Christmas around here.

Hubby and I totally wore out our 'ol standby Craftsman rider that I used as a wood hauler. The mower deck pooped out years ago and steering was really sloppy but otherwise it was a good tractor - it bit the dust after about 25 yrs of service so we can't complain. We bought a shiny red Simplicity riding mower and also use it around the yard to move wood. Problem is, it is also our snowblower in winter and I can't hook the wood trailer on it when the snowblower is on - too much weight for it. So, I am in the market for a 15 hp rider w/o deck, a hydrostatic tranny would be great.

I have finally become adjusted to the pintel hitch on the utility trailer. Our adult sons are not fans of it - I tell them having that type of hitch is actually a theft deterrent as not many thieves have ever even seen a pintel hitch. :)
It's been a different winter here in NY, it was cold early for a good stetch and then it warmed up for what seemed like 2 or 3 weeks with the cold coming back in the last three days, we did have snow for Christmas so that was nice.

That 25 years of service is a nice run, how's the Simplicity working out for you?

Hello, there, GF !!!!!!!!

;)

We're in the same boat... 10 years older :cool:

It's been a different winter here in NY, it was cold early for a good stetch and then it warmed up for what seemed like 2 or 3 weeks with the cold coming back in the last three days, we did have snow for Christmas so that was nice.

That 25 years of service is a nice run, how's the Simplicity working out for you?

I'll start off by saying "I miss my Craftsman!" Other than the mower deck rusting out at around 20 yrs. of service, we only had one other issue with it: Hubby had a plow for it. Sometime after he got sick I replaced the plower with a blower. Right around that time is when I noticed cracks in the front body frame, probably caused by ramming snowbanks.

But, your question was about the Simplicity:

Overall I do like it. It sits a lot taller so I have to really duck under some of our trees.

I think it's turning radius is wider than the Craftsmen.

I've had some minor issues that caused it to go back to the shop:

The ignition switch came loose which caused the engine to die. Of course, this happened at the extreme opposite corner of the yard, away from the driveway. No way was I going to try to push that heavy machine over to the driveway. SOS to the dealer and they were here within 30 minutes to haul it off to the shop.

The next issue was the electric deck lift quit - back to the shop to fix that.

There was one other small item that I can't seem to recall right now........... (old age setting in, right?).

We are VERY pleased with the service we have received from the dealer. So far, everything has been covered by the warranty. One thing I really do love about this dealer is they store our snowblower attachment and the mower deck in their respective off-seasons. Example, whenever I deem snow season is over I give them a call, they come to our place and haul the Simplicity back to their shop, remove the blower and attach the mower deck that they have stored over the winter. In the Fall, I determine when we need the snowblower attachment put on and just give them a call to come out and pick up the Simplicity. There is no charge for the storage of the attachments. All I pay is $65 for them to pick up and deliver the machine. They also change the oil twice per year to the proper seasonal weight, oil filters 2x year, sharpen/balance blades, etc. for a nominal amount. Sweet deal as far as I'm concerned.

Shari

I'll start off by saying "I miss my Craftsman!" Other than the mower deck rusting out at around 20 yrs. of service, we only had one other issue with it: Hubby had a plow for it. Sometime after he got sick I replaced the plower with a blower. Right around that time is when I noticed cracks in the front body frame, probably caused by ramming snowbanks.

But, your question was about the Simplicity:

Overall I do like it. It sits a lot taller so I have to really duck under some of our trees.

I think it's turning radius is wider than the Craftsmen.

I've had some minor issues that caused it to go back to the shop:

The ignition switch came loose which caused the engine to die. Of course, this happened at the extreme opposite corner of the yard, away from the driveway. No way was I going to try to push that heavy machine over to the driveway. SOS to the dealer and they were here within 30 minutes to haul it off to the shop.

The next issue was the electric deck lift quit - back to the shop to fix that.

There was one other small item that I can't seem to recall right now........... (old age setting in, right?).

We are VERY pleased with the service we have received from the dealer. So far, everything has been covered by the warranty. One thing I really do love about this dealer is they store our snowblower attachment and the mower deck in their respective off-seasons. Example, whenever I deem snow season is over I give them a call, they come to our place and haul the Simplicity back to their shop, remove the blower and attach the mower deck that they have stored over the winter. In the Fall, I determine when we need the snowblower attachment put on and just give them a call to come out and pick up the Simplicity. There is no charge for the storage of the attachments. All I pay is $65 for them to pick up and deliver the machine. They also change the oil twice per year to the proper seasonal weight, oil filters 2x year, sharpen/balance blades, etc. for a nominal amount. Sweet deal as far as I'm concerned.

Shari
Yes, a good dealer is always a good thing that will keep you happy.

Speaking of dealers, I just stopped by our Yamaha dealer who we bought our Rhino from years back and they're closed until March! ;hm Nothing is wrong with it but I did have a question......I guess it can wait until March.