hello from NH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colin morris

Oct 16, 2007
Andover, NH
Hello to all, thought I would introduce myself after having read and read countless threads for about a year here without being registered.

I would like to say that this site is truly awesome and very easy to navigate and is all about my main interests, thumbs up to Chi Associates and Craig Issod.

Hearth is like a magnet for some really talented folks that write in the various forums, my favorite is the Boiler Room and has been set as my home page for quite a while :)

I live in Central NH with a large friendly cat (lab associate to mad scientist)

I have a huge amount of interest in alternative energy especially downdraft gasification and thermal energy storage and is how I originally found Hearth.com I think :)

I want to build a small (initially) outdoor prototype downdraft gasification boiler. I don't have the financial resources to purchase the boiler and storage that I would like to have, however I have a bunch of experience that would lend itself well to building what I would like to create and experiment with.

I have done a bunch of research on downdraft gasification and enjoy the heck out of it, I made a small and very simple updraft gasifier last year and got encouraging results using a dc computer fan and a variable speed controller for it along with different sizes of coffee cans that had a circular manifold putting out blue flame for about 25 minutes from about 2 cups worth of pellets.

I have been collecting various materials to build with and need to stop procrastinating. :)

Sincerely,

Colin Morris

Welcome to the Boiler Room, Colin, and thank you for your kind words. It really is a cool place to hang out if you're into alternative fuels and central heating.

Your post reminded me of a wood gas website I visited recently where they discuss various wood gas-fueled vehicles and appliances in some detail. I'm sure you know the one I'm talking about; I'm pretty sure I got the link right here on hearth.com. I'm no survivalist, but I do find myself occasionally pondering a world without fossil fuels, and wood gasification seems to be one practical alternative to fossil fuels. So someday I'd like to make a wood-fired refrigerator or generator, just to see how it would work.

But, back to the topic at hand: as I'm sure you've noticed, both nofossil's brother and Garnification have built their own gasifiers (in our sole sticky link), so that's a good place to start.

Again, welcome.

Sounds like a cool build. Please post pics of the construction/plans.

Welcome

Welcome, Colin - we are glad to have some additional inventors and discoverers in the Room. Thanks for the kind words, but I must say that it is 99% Eric who made the Boiler Room happen. I just pushed a couple buttons and made some mouse clicks!

When I saw that home made Garn, I knew right away I was out of my league!

I used to have an employee (installer), who I used to describe as such "When nuclear war hits, and the world is reduced to rubble, we will be able to rebuild civilization in a short while just using the tools and knowledge that are at Dans house"........ Turns out there are many "Dans", so in the worst cast we will be able to rebuild the world pretty quick! I'll provide the internet forum, and the rest of you can do the design and welding.

Status
Not open for further replies.