Hello! New member wants your 2 cents.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
IMG_20211012_122911243.jpg

It was filthy. Removed the two steel covers next to the burn pot and they were packed with ash, it went all the way to the top of the tubes in the combustion chamber. Removed the combustion fan and blew it out front and back. Put a new fan and housing on after brushing scraping and blowing everything out a second time. New coat of stove black, it's ready to test fire.
IMG_20211002_125241778.jpg

IMG_20211012_143616675.jpg

Suggest you paint it now so it cures as the stove does,
smell only once . Remember to clean pipe to remove any
manufacturing oils

Reactions: clancey
Hard to tell from photos, if the pipe is galvanized, wipe it down with vinegar before painting it, the vinegar etches it and helps the paint stick

Stumbled across the Duravent kit at a Tractor Supply, open box clearance item. Appliance adapter, clean out tee, 5' of 12" pipe, 90° pipe, wall thimble and horizontal cap for....$79.99. A cheap date indeed.
16340713318715412651943117056711.jpg

Hard to tell from photos, if the pipe is galvanized, wipe it down with vinegar before painting it, the vinegar etches it and helps the paint stick
Thanks, It is galvanized, my stove guy says the vinegar etch works best after a burn, IDK, it's how I did my 6" run for my gas jotel stove in the cabin, worked good.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Thanks, It is galvanized, my stove guy says the vinegar etch works best after a burn, IDK, it's how I did my 6" run for my gas jotel stove in the cabin, worked good.
IIRC the 6" I did was stainless though....

1st fire at start up, about 10 minutes to ignite, burn pot about full at ignition. I've left it running on #1, damper open a crack, it's under 200° internal, convection air fluctuating under 150°. Seems to idle along nicely, curios to see how many hours to burn a bag. Using softwood pellets from the plant in Spearfish SD.
IMG_20211013_095622484.jpg

Reactions: Washed-Up