Hello, New to the forum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikermike

Mar 16, 2011
chitown
In the process of cleaning out an old garage for an elderly friend, I came across an old iron fireplace. Not knowing much about them, I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me.

I was told by the owner that it was purchased about 30 years ago and never set up. I was also told that at the time of purchase that it was said to be about 15 to 20 years old, making it about 50 or so years old. I have put all the pieces I have found together and it appears to be complete with the exception of a couple of flat head bolts that hold the flat top piece to the walls. It is rusty but seems to work ok with the exception of the left side bi-fold door. It is rusted and I did not try any harder then with my hands to try to get it working. The other door was stiff but I got it moving with no problem.

There is a plate on the bottom that says Hearth Craft Inc. of Portland Oregon, with various model numbers, but none of them are checked so I can't tell what model this is.

I guess I was hoping to get some info/advice as to what this might be worth in its present condition. What it might take to restore it and an idea of what that might cost. The owner wants to let it go.

I would appreciate any info you can give me,
Thanks

PS Computer is not cooperating with posting pictures at this time. Im sure its operator error.

I thought Hearth Craft made glass doors. Anyhow, Id be interested in seeing the photo. This may end up getting moved to the Classic Stoves forum.

A company out of IN seems to go by that name now. Not sure if it's related or not.

http://www.hearthcraft.com/

I want to see these pics too!

pen

When I googled Hearth Craft I got the Indiana company and the door stuff too.

Thanks,
I will keep trying to get the pics up.

Hi, Welcome to the forum.
You can try some PB blaster in that seized hinge letting it sit for a day or 2. If that won't un-sieze it, a bit of heat from a torch should get it moving. Spray the other hinges to keep them from seizing.
If you get everything freed up, then you could sand and paint the cast iron pieces with a good quality high heat paint. The bolts should be easy to find at a bolt suppy store. If the fireplace has glass, clean it up as good as possible.
Assemble it and sell it on Kijiji or C/L. Start high, and gradually lower the price each week. It's amazing what some people will pay for stuff if your aren't too anxious to sell. :)

I hope it is not one of the old Franklin style stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.