Hello! Please recommend me a stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blaise Rascal

Apr 9, 2022
Southwest Virginia
Hello Everyone!

Have been exclusively heating with ancient technology big black metal boxes for the last 15 years. Specifically with a 1970's home made copy of a Fisher Papa Bear for the last 5 years. I feel it's time to come into the 21st century.

Stove heats primarily and exclusively (no other heat source is used) heats 1600 sq ft of semi open floor plan. Some heat moves upward through two 1ft square portals to add heat to approx. 800 sq ft of 2nd story, but that space has a primary propane heat source.

House: Hybrid 1920's/1980's, well insulated and updated windows.
Chimney: Approx 28 ft of 6 inch insulated stainless steel pipe.
Stove Location: center of wall in a 40 x 20 living room.
Wood used and Type: An average of 6 cords per season of locust, oak and cherry
Stove Use Culture: During peak of winter in Jan/Feb stove is running continuously, firebox (almost 6 cubit ft?!) loaded up about 3 times a day with last load around 10pm, stove damped down completely, big bed of coals in the morning, stoked back and repeat 24/7.

Not particularly interested in Cat stoves at this point, but open to changing my mind.
Hearth is centered on wall and should allow for most stove dimensions.
Don't care about looks or fire view.
Budget: Hoping to stay under $4000 (*budget has been edited LOL..)
Thank you kindly!!!

Last edited:
Pacific energy, quadrafire, some regency's, lopi and kuma are some good brands

I am happy with my Drolet. But it really hasn’t been used but a handful of times. Could even stay under the 2500$ budget. It’s a value oriented line. But most reports are good. Mine is on 24’ of insulated 6” and definitely needs a damper.

For your size and climate I think a PE super 27 will suit your needs. You may need a damper due to flue height.

Newer stoves want dryer wood than your Fisher clone will take. Make sure to put it up early and get at least 2 years ahead.

Reactions: Tar12
I think you are a prime candidate for this stove..

Reactions: jalmondale
Stove Use Culture: During peak of winter in Jan/Feb stove is running continuously, firebox (almost 6 cubit ft?!) loaded up about 3 times a day
Are you saying your stove takes 6cu/ft of wood 3 times a day?
Please post a few pics.

A big Drolet will get the job done and will keep within the budget. Look at the Drolet Austral/Legend/Myriad III (all the same stove inside) and the Drolet HT3000. All are under $2000.

One concern is the current flue setup. Most stoves will take a 6" flue. Can you describe it in detail? 6" or 8"?

Regardless of stove choice, a modern stove is going to need wood that is fully seasoned, (<20% MC) to perform best. For oak, hickory, and other dense hardwoods this means getting 2 yrs. ahead on the wood supply. The good news is that these stoves will provide more heat while burning less wood.

Are you saying your stove takes 6cu/ft of wood 3 times a day?
Please post a few pics.
Wood blocks are where a mantel had been, just removed to make space for new thimble through wall.

PXL_20220410_172106496.jpg PXL_20220410_172122886.jpg

A new stove will be shallower which will help with the hearth. The current hearth is inadequate in front of the stove. It needs 16" of protection. Are there burn marks in the flooring?

A new stove will be shallower which will help with the hearth. The current hearth is inadequate in front of the stove. It needs 16" of protection. Are there burn marks in the flooring?
No, I actually just moved the stove forward to accommodate the updated pass through piping, will be using to finish out the heating season here and hope to upgrade to new stove before next winter.