Help. Can't easily vent outside.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harman1607

Oct 11, 2015
Harper's ferry wv
See pics

Hi. First post. Just bought a harman advance pellet stove. Hearth pad, stove, some piping and accessories for $1750. Where I want to put this stove in my house I have some issues. My house is very small. 3 bedroom rancher. Looking at the pictures I want to put the stove where the small bookshelf is. Space is limited so I want to put it as far to the right (toward to door leading to to sunroom) as possible. But as you can see, I have a sun room behind it. The wall of the sunroom connects to the house a few inches to the right of the big window (where the blue painters tape behind the lamp). I really don't want to vent straight up thru the attic and thru the roof. Any recommendations?

2 options I have thought of
1) if you are facing the stove, come out of the back and immediately turn a 90 degree to the left. Run approximately 3 feet horizontal in the living room, then turn a 90 degree to get outside under the window.

2) come straight out of the back of the stove. Penetrating the wall into the sunroom. Then 90 degree turn and penetrate the exterior wall of the sunroom to get me outside

How many violations have I made in those 2 suggestions? Lol. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Views: 132
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 152
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 130
if the window you would be venting under is an openable window, you need 4 feet of clearance from vent termination to the window.

4 feet from the side or bottom of opening windows or a foot above is the general rule/code that is referenced in manufacturer's recommendations and homeowners insurance requirements.
for a while i thought it was also 4 feet above windows, but with some considerable effort i got through to the parent company who sells my stove and confirmed the 1 foot above windows requirement.
this is also what most people here maintained the requirement was/is.

also bends in the pipe increase the EVL. (equivalent vent length) if your venting is 4" diameter, then a longer EVL will be fine.
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/741416/Monroe-Wood-Pellet-Stove.html?page=6

if you can come out above the sunroom windows, that would work.
ok, if i'm reading and seeing this right, that's two 90 degree bends. straight out to the sunroom, 90 degrees up bend and vertical pipe toward the ceiling, 90 degrees and out above the window.

cleaning the venting with that arrangement will be a pain. unless you can fit a double tee at the low point in the sunroom. then it's no problem.
that is the best solution i can see for that stove location. just find a double opening cleanout tee.
some people just disconnect the stove, pull it out and cleanout the horizontal pipe that way.

perhaps someone else has a better read on this than me and can chime in.

* last thought- your first suggestion wouldn't work because if you are doing a "direct vent" (no vertical rise) you need to just go straight out with no bends.
so even though it appears the living room window is a non opening window, you'd still need to move the stove over so you'd come straight out and terminate 4 feet from the openable sunroom window.

Last edited:
i've been editing my post.
this was my last addition -

"* last thought- your first suggestion wouldn't work because if you are doing a "direct vent" (no vertical rise) you need to just go straight out with no bends.
so even though it appears the living room window is a non opening window, you'd still need to move the stove over so you'd come straight out and terminate 4 feet from the openable sunroom window." /end quote

** so even if the living room window doesn't open, you still need 4 feet clearance laterally and/or from the bottom of the sunroom window,

: )

The sunroom isn't heated. So it's not habitual, I wonder if the 4 foot from window rule applies.

What if I combined my 2 drawings into one-
Out the back of the stove, straight up like 7 foot to just barely above the unopenable living room window Turn right, still inside the house, the turn outside above the window and below the soft it outside.

the chance of CO getting inside the sunporch and then the house isn't worth the shortcut of venting under a window, imo.
and if you're going into the sunporch anyway (in that scenario) you may as well get the draft advantage of having a vertical rise.
bends when venting w/ no vertical rise are not recommended. though the CO issue renders that moot.

you could do your second suggestion though and meet clearance standards.
when i clean my venting with the linteater, it flexes through the one 90 degree elbow just fine.
then i just remove the bottom plate of the cleanout tee once i'm done running the brush.
i use a pan to catch the soot at that point.
i would have loved to have the cleanout tee outside the house, but the limitations of my placement options made my up and out solution the most sensible.

i can forsee it being a more difficult cleaning if you have two elbows and they are also offset to each other by 90 degrees. which is what you'd have with that solution. a linteater or other flexible brush might do the double turn just fine though. i've just never tried it.

it is a problematic location for the stove. but i understand why you want it there.

are there any other possible choices for stove location?
is that back wall behind the sofa an exterior wall? that would be a nice placement at least as far as the venting aspect.
up and out or a direct vent. but it disturbs how you are using the room at this point.

Last edited:
If you have an outside air kit, I think you only need 18" of clearance from a window, bottom or side.

Reactions: St_Earl
if so, that could help.
but i have never seen anyone here with a level/direct vent that had any bends in it.
i'm fairly sure a direct vent is supposed to be just that, straight out.
it's definitely a question i would want fully answered before i went that route.
and the OAK can't draw from the sunroom.
that would make things even worse for pulling exhaust in.
OAK can only draw from outside the house entirely.

Last edited:
So it sounds like the general consensus is to come straight up (still inside the living room), elbow to the left above the living room window, get 18 inches away from the sunroom window then elbow outside right above living room window / right below softit

I know you said you don't want to go straight up, but that is by far the best option for you. I wouldn't want to vent into that corner and if you go above the window you are 90% to a straight up anyway. You might be surprised how easy it is to go straight up and with the lower clearance to combustibles on some brands now the hole will be relatively small. The more straight/vertical you can make a vent run the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.