Help choosing a small woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlM

May 13, 2014
Nova Scotia
Hello,

We are looking to install a small woodstove into an old fireplace (nothing can actually fit in, so we are using it as a hearthstove). We have narrowed it down to VC Intrepid II, Jotul fcb, and Jotul F100 Nordic. The plus with the Nordic is that we wouldn't need a mantle shield (we have a beautiful old wooden mantle) but for all 3 we would need shielding for the side posts.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any input. The house itself is 2 stories, 600 square feet on each level to make 1200 total (not including the unfinished basement) and the stove would be on the main level, in the living room close to the staircase. The size of that room is about 150 square feet. Right now the house is quite closed off although we are thinking of eventually removing the wall between the kitchen and the living room for better air flow. We are looking for something to supplement our current oil heating (likely at night and in the morning, not through the day or overnight). We are in Nova Scotia where the weather in the winter can get down to -10 or more (C) in the coldest winter months.

Any input or other suggestions very much appreciated!

With any of those stoves you are looking at a four hour or so burn time. Without much stove surface area to throw heat. I have used both the F3CB and the F100 to heat my basement office and love the lil stoves, especially the F100, but they are not major heaters and reloads are frequent because of the limited firebox size.

And if the F100 is buried in the fireplace most of its heat is going to be soaked up by the masonry of the fireplace.

Out of the stoves you mentioned, the VC has the most usable firebox in my opinion. The top load is a nice feature on such a small stove. VC doesn't have the best reputation as of lately, but the Intrepid hasn't shared the issues that some of the other stoves have had. It's a nice little stove! If I was looking for a little stove I wouldn't hesitate on any of the ones you mentioned, but due to usablility I would go with the VC.

I'd add the Woodstock Keystone or Palladian as an option, particularly if you want longer burns. Good for taking the edge off of those cold foggy nights, yet not overheating the house.

Last edited:
When you say small fireplace: What dimensions does it actually have? Is it tall enough to fit a rear-vent pipe underneath? The Woodstock stoves are about the lowest ones with a minimum lintel height of ~26". As they are catalytic stoves they will give you the longest burn times for their respective firebox sizes. Another option to look at may be the Hearthstone line. The Shelburne has a larger firebox with 2.0 cu ft and you may get heat for about 8 to 9 hours with it. Another company that makes rear-vented stoves is Quadrafire. The just released Explorer 2 has relatively tight clearances for a medium-size stove. Or you could go for the smaller Yosemite but it needs more clearance to one side for the loading.

Don't forget that any of those stoves will need dry seasoned wood. Did you already split some and have it stacked in your yard for seasoning?

That is a small fireplace opening. The F100 will clear and the Intrepid might just squeak by, but I think the F3CB may be a tad too tall. If you're just looking to supplement the heat then either the F100 or Intrepid would work.

Last edited:
The Shelburne would need about 30" to clear the top of the rear-exit pipe.

The hearthstone craftsbury would be another good option. They have made some nice changes on the latest model!

Have they changed the latch assembly? That was a weak link. What other changes have they made?

Have they changed the latch assembly? That was a weak link. What other changes have they made?
They seem to have improved their latches. We haven't been having issues like we did a few years back.
They got rid of the arches over the glass for a bigger view.
They changed the entire Ashpan door design and latch.
They changed the pattern on the iron too, now its similar to the Manchester. It looks a lot more modern.

Good to know, thanks for the update. Unfortunately for the OP it's 24 7/8" to the centerline of the flue exit or 27 7/8" at the top of it. I thought of the Hampton H200 too, but that is too tall as well.

Yeah, I just checked out the new Craftsbury photos...looks nice, more like the Shelburne, but smaller.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. The Quadrafire Yosemite looks like it might even fit with our small clearances if we keep the side door locked (wooden posts for mantle are 46" apart and the mantle is 47" from the floor) - it would be great not to need a shield.

Hello don't know if meets mantle clearances for you- but the Jotul F3cb venting out the rear with the short leg kit is about 24 inches, I think that would work for you... but shielding/clearances may still be an issue. The other stoves would work well too. That is one small fireplace, wow. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.