help choosing between englander stove models

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Which model do i go with?

• 30nc

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other model (mention in thread plz)

• just use oil heat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

udt89

Sep 19, 2010
long island
I apologize in advance because im posting from my phone.

I need to get my wood burning stove replaced otherwise my homeowners insurance will be dropped, as well as a new chimney. I got quotes for the job, and the chimney install isn't all that bad. But the stove they are trying to sell me is 2200. So im going my own route on the stove and will have them install it.

Question i have if, which model englander should i get? The snc30 or the snc13? My home has a main floor and an unfinished basement. The main floor is a little over 1800 sq ft and the stove is right in the center. The floor plan is very open so it should heat well. The bedrooms and bathrooms are on one end down a narrow hallway and all with doors.

The price difference is $380 and they don't come with a fan, fan is approx $150. While 380 might seem insignificant being a new homeowner in a house needing some finishing, that money could be used elsewhere. But, if the larger stove helps cut the oil bill more than the smaller one then it makes sense. Or do i go smaller stove with a fan instead on a larger with no fan?

Two more things, will this stove heat the basement enough to prevent pipes from freezing? And are these models the best for the money or are there other brands i should consider?

Thanks for your help.
Matt

:lol: at option 4 on this forum.

Sounds like you need the 30. I would put off buying the blower with that floor plan. If you need it you can buy it later.

I vote for the 30 also, especially if you want it to replace oil. But I vote that you burn oil this winter if you have not found a source of truly dry wood. (Don't believe the guy selling it when he says it's dry.) Get your wood now for next winter. Many of us want it to be sitting for over a year to make sure it is dry. If you try to burn wood that has too much moisture in it, you will become frustrated and there is a good chance your chimney can get an unhealthy coating of creosote.

Heat doesn't like to go down. I wouldn't count on it heating the basement. You may not have a problem with that though. Most basements get some heat from the ground and stay above freezing. Just watch the temp and don't worry about it now. If the temp does get below 40 or so down there, my first step would be to insulate the lines. Water comes into the house at 50 or so.

Matt

Is it possible to put the stove in the basement? With the 30nc you should be able to heat the main floor from the basement while keeping the basement warm as well. You also won't blast yourself out of the main floor.

Thanks for the replies. I have a fireplace in the basement so puttig the stove down there would be overkill. I could get an insert, but i like the stove on the main floor.

As for wood i have a good amount ready and a friend who split a ton of oak last fall.

Is your old stove a complete junker? You could always put that in the basement as backup - a fireplace isn't much of a heater.
Do you have two separate flues, one for fireplace and one for stove, and what size and shape are they in? (Sounds like you are getting a liner for the upstairs flue.)

The 13 might be a bit small, but the 30 might over-heat you. Tough call, but I vote small.

branchburner said:
Is your old stove a complete junker? You could always put that in the basement as backup - a fireplace isn't much of a heater.
Do you have two separate flues, one for fireplace and one for stove, and what size and shape are they in? (Sounds like you are getting a liner for the upstairs flue.)

The 13 might be a bit small, but the 30 might over-heat you. Tough call, but I vote small.

I have three flutes. Boiler, stove, and fireplace. The stove flute needs complete overhaul, old clay pipe rigged to metal piping. The chimney for the boiler needs a new liner as well. The fireplace chimney needs a new damper.

Lots of work needed but the stove is priority due to insurance issues and the boiler is a close second.

I also found a stove insert the guy left in the basement that i could put in the basement when the time comes. My current stove is a glacier bay andfrom the multiple estimates the layout i have for the stove doesn't give enough clearance.

"And are these models the best for the money or are there other brands i should consider?"

Definitely the best for the money. Probably go with the 30. Much easier for overnight burns. $980 at Overstockstoves.com

I love my 13 but i would choose the 30 for longer burns and the option of loading north south.

O
blel said:
"And are these models the best for the money or are there other brands i should consider?"

Definitely the best for the money. Probably go with the 30. Much easier for overnight burns. $980 at Overstockstoves.com

Thanks for the price tip. Was just about to order it for 1100. I appreciate it man

Status
Not open for further replies.