Help Choosing my Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dylskee

Feeling the Heat
Sep 28, 2008
Central MA
Hello fellow pellet burners, this will be my first year burning pellets and I don't have a clue what pellet to burn. I would appreciate any help in choosing a good burning pellet for my stove.
My new stove is a Quadra-Fire CB 1200 and will be installed in my cold un-insulated basement. Here are my choices of pellets. From my research so far it sounds like people really like the Barefoot pellets?

All the pellets have a $10.00 discount /ton when you buy 3+. A $59.00 delivery charge.

Powerhouse Premium Hardwood $259.
Geneva Premium Hardwood Pellets $259.
Spruce Pointe Super Premium Grade $346.80
Instant Heat Premium Hardwood Pellets $269.
Orford Premier Hardwood Pellet $279.
American Wood Fibers Premium Hardwood Pellets $269.
Green Gold Premium Plus Hardwood Pellet $279.
Barefoot Super Premium Hardwood Pellets 289.
Curran Optimal Super Premium Softwood $279.
American Wood Fibers Ultra Premium Softwood Pellets $294.
PWI/Logik-e High Output Super Premium Hardwood Pellets $317.90

And a few more softwood pellets for $289. Damn, that's a lot of choices!! See why I'm so confused? :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the madness! You will get more opinions here so if you are confused, prepare for a lot of ideas from folks who do know what they are doing, I think? :p
I have a pair of red heads (Mahogany Castilles) and both love the Barefoots....you can't go wrong with that choice and give the price points, everything is very close $$$ wise.

Reactions: dylskee
I can't get soft woods down here:( ,they tend to burn hotter and cleaner so I'd go that route, Barefoot's are good just a bit pricey down here.

All of those are high priced....the first clue is the "Instant Heat-less" @ $269.....YIKES!!

Have you checked at your local Lowes or HD? Around me, they have some good brands and most are $209

If I were in your situation I would buy 1 ton of each of the following:
Powerhouse
Barefoot
PWI
Spruce Point

It will give you a taste of how different pellets burn and if one of them is really bad (not likely) you only have one ton of them
I like these 3 picks
Barefoot
PWI
Spruce Point

But I'd prolly pass on the powerhouse. Quality last season wasn't up to snuff IMHO. Geneva would be my choice. And like imacman said. Check the local box store,s Timber Heat and Pres-to-logs. are worth keeping an eye out for. Even if its just a few bags at a time(no way to haul large amounts).

All of those are high priced....the first clue is the "Instant Heat-less" @ $269.....YIKES!!

Have you checked at your local Lowes or HD? Around me, they have some good brands and most are $209
Yes, and they only carry Fireside pellets for $219/Ton + $60. delivery and from what I've read they are not a very good pellet. I've checked a bunch of places around here and the premium pellets are anywhere from $269.-$289. /Ton. I'm just afraid of buying crappy pellets and ruining my first year pellet burning experience. ;sick

I like these 3 picks
Barefoot
PWI
Spruce Point

But I'd prolly pass on the powerhouse. Quality last season wasn't up to snuff IMHO. Geneva would be my choice. And like imacman said. Check the local box store,s Timber Heat and Pres-to-logs. are worth keeping an eye out for. Even if its just a few bags at a time(no way to haul large amounts).

Yeah I could have gone either way, with those two. But the op should try one of the less expensive options IMHO

Edit: Lowes now has three different prices depending on pellet brand.
Greene Team were like 279
Hearthside were like 259
INFERNO like 239

These are estimates I didn't give any off them a second thought.

Reactions: jtakeman
Yes, and they only carry Fireside pellets for $219/Ton + $60. delivery and from what I've read they are not a very good pellet. I've checked a bunch of places around here and the premium pellets are anywhere from $269.-$289. /Ton. I'm just afraid of buying crappy pellets and ruining my first year pellet burning experience. ;sick

I would say Fireside Ultras are slightly above average and the second best box store pellet I have ever used, second to Somerset

I just bought 11 bags

Just updated the prices, when I added them to my cart they reflected their true price. The Spruce Pointe is priced at $346.80!! _g:eek: I'll be passing on those this year, I've spent a lot of money this year and I'm starting to get that look from my wife right now........:mad:

Oh, and the $10.00 discount for 3 or more pallets only applies when you purchase the same brand pellet.

I'm starting to get that look from my wife right now........:mad:

And it's not that I'm getting lucky tonight look;)

dylskee, my wife asks for your address, She has a catalog and a "how to" book that your wife might be interested in. You'd better learn to duck! ;hm

We'll be here for ya when the lights go out and you wake up with a dull throb!

Just updated the prices, when I added them to my cart they reflected their true price. The Spruce Pointe is priced at $346.80!! _g:eek: I'll be passing on those this year, I've spent a lot of money this year and I'm starting to get that look from my wife right now........:mad:

Oh, and the $10.00 discount for 3 or more pallets only applies when you purchase the same brand pellet.

Is this Pellets Direct? If so, the Spruce Point come on 1.2 ton pallets, hence the price. I would call them to see if they will honor the 10 dollars off if you buy different pellets. Explain to them its tour first year and you hoping to find not only a pellet that works but a local dealer. They should play ballto try and get your future sales.

dylskee, my wife asks for your address, She has a catalog and a "how to" book that your wife might be interested in. You'd better learn to duck! ;hm

We'll be here for ya when the lights go out and you wake up with a dull throb!
HAHAHAHA! Thanks man, at least someone's got my back!! :) And believe me, I've been married for 22 years and I learned how to duck a LONG time ago!

Reactions: jtakeman
Is this Pellets Direct? If so, the Spruce Point come on 1.2 ton pallets, hence the price. I would call them to see if they will honor the 10 dollars off if you buy different pellets. Explain to them its tour first year and you hoping to find not only a pellet that works but a local dealer. They should play ballto try and get your future sales.
Yes, it's Pellets Direct and that's a good idea. I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say, it's not like the $30.00 is a deal breaker but every little bit helps....

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed that it was 1.2 tons so that ends up at $289. so that's not horrible.

Last edited:
I am patiently awaiting the arrival of Firesides at my local HD. If there are anything like last years, they are worth every cent of that $219 price tag.

Reactions: jim3854 and dylskee
Do the softwoods burn up faster? All I've ever used is the hardwoods. You guys are helping me learn quick, thanks for all the free info..::P

Softwoods might burn faster, But its not because of the fiber being softwood. Its generally because they are of a higher bulk density. Any really dense pellet will burn faster as a rule. Yep including hardwoods

I am patiently awaiting the arrival of Firesides at my local HD. If there are anything like last years, they are worth every cent of that $219 price tag.
Keep me posted on the quality of that pellet. This year I am going to buy some premium pellets but if I can burn those Firesides without issue that's a pretty good price.

No one has said it yet ,but you should try a few bags of every pellet you can get your hands on to see what your stove likes:) it may be more $$ / bag but it's better to only have a few bags of some C hit pellet vs a ton ;)

No one has said it yet ,but you should try a few bags of every pellet you can get your hands on to see what your stove likes:) it may be more $$ / bag but it's better to only have a few bags of some C hit pellet vs a ton ;)
Well there goes all them cheap pellets on CL! <>

But I agree try a couple first, Should give you a feel for them. Heck while your at it try about everything you can get you hoofs(pigs do have hoofs right?) on for that matter. One never knows what tomorrows deal are gonna be. Stumble on to a brand thats on sale, Got to have incite to snatch them deals before the next pigs comes by and swipes em from ya!

Has any one burned Maine Woods Pellets? $245./Ton I'm trying to find a thread that I was looking at this morning and now I can find it. The OP posted all sorts of great info, burn temps ash content and a bunch of other stuff! Lots of pictures of jars with the ash for a crap load of pellets....

Yes, the Fireside Ultras were good last year. I got a taste of the Stove Chow and either at $219 are a deal. Have not seen them yet. Be sure to give a shout out when/if they are stocked this year.

Has any one burned Maine Woods Pellets? $245./Ton I'm trying to find a thread that I was looking at this morning and now I can find it. The OP posted all sorts of great info, burn temps ash content and a bunch of other stuff! Lots of pictures of jars with the ash for a crap load of pellets....

Here's some of the old stuff.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/search/...=14+29&c[user][0]=9179&c[user_content]=thread

Last seasons are here.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/12-13-pellet-testing.108795/

Don't pay much attention to that knucklehead, He don't know nadda/chit about them pellets! :p

Last year was my first winter. I tried a bunch of different pellets. Fireside Ultras were my favorite. Especially for the price. I burned 2 tons of them last winter. I would suggest trying some - every stove burns different.

Status
Not open for further replies.