Help choosing wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SterlingSL

Hearth Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Dallas Tx
We have three dealers near us. One dealer 3 miles from here sells Hampton & Regency (I'm confused if those are the same company).

The other two dealers are quite a bit further away (couple hours). The one dealer is pointing me to the Harman Accentra. He also sells Quadra-fire, Jotul, Avalon, Hearthstone, Vermont Castings and maybe a couple others. The third dealer is pointing to a Lopi and claims Quadrafire and Harman are crap (not sure I believe him).

Our house: 2000 sqft ranch style single story. 35 years old, kinda drafty, maybe light on the insulation, single pane cold windows etc. However we live in N. Texas. It got down to low teens the last couple days but we rarely see below 32. Wife loves a HOT heat. I don't mind making the place glow so she can slink around in her birthday suit in the middle of the winter. We're accustomed to these crap heat pump units that put out a cold heat. They suck. She wants hot heat. We initially thought we'd go with a pellet stove based on my parents recommendations. However I don't like the idea of pellets and their availability here. We both love the ambiance of a real fire. I have a used cone out of a rock crusher sitting in my back yard that I regularly start fires in just because I'm a bit of a pyro. Yes, I got in trouble in college for rolling a 50 gallon drum of diesel on a giant pile of brush and setting it alight on campus. Lucky I didn't get kicked out that day.

Would love your recommendations to get me started looking. I have to make a decision quick, like this week to grab the tax credit. Plus we're tired of waiting. We talk about this every damn year for the last 15 years. It's happening this time.

Our current fireplace is a "heat-form" by Heatilator. The old heat recovery tubes above the damper are getting removed etc. I believe I have enough current space for anything they want to throw in there. It's a huge fireplace and lets a huge amount of my heat go right up the chimney.

P.S. wife really like the Hampton HI300 we saw mainly because of the 'enamel timberline brown finish'. Me I like efficiency and would prefer something that can self circulate. Wish I had access to the Kuma Sequoia. That thing is a beast but may be too much for our little 2000 sqft.

We have three dealers near us. One dealer 3 miles from here sells Hampton & Regency (I'm confused if those are the same company).

The other two dealers are quite a bit further away (couple hours). The one dealer is pointing me to the Harman Accentra. He also sells Quadra-fire, Jotul, Avalon, Hearthstone, Vermont Castings and maybe a couple others. The third dealer is pointing to a Lopi and claims Quadrafire and Harman are crap (not sure I believe him).

Our house: 2000 sqft ranch style single story. 35 years old, kinda drafty, maybe light on the insulation, single pane cold windows etc. However we live in N. Texas. It got down to low teens the last couple days but we rarely see below 32. Wife loves a HOT heat. I don't mind making the place glow so she can slink around in her birthday suit in the middle of the winter. We're accustomed to these crap heat pump units that put out a cold heat. They suck. She wants hot heat. We initially thought we'd go with a pellet stove based on my parents recommendations. However I don't like the idea of pellets and their availability here. We both love the ambiance of a real fire. I have a used cone out of a rock crusher sitting in my back yard that I regularly start fires in just because I'm a bit of a pyro. Yes, I got in trouble in college for rolling a 50 gallon drum of diesel on a giant pile of brush and setting it alight on campus. Lucky I didn't get kicked out that day.

Would love your recommendations to get me started looking. I have to make a decision quick, like this week to grab the tax credit. Plus we're tired of waiting. We talk about this every damn year for the last 15 years. It's happening this time.

Our current fireplace is a "heat-form" by Heatilator. The old heat recovery tubes above the damper are getting removed etc. I believe I have enough current space for anything they want to throw in there. It's a huge fireplace and lets a huge amount of my heat go right up the chimney.

P.S. wife really like the Hampton HI300 we saw mainly because of the 'enamel timberline brown finish'. Me I like efficiency and would prefer something that can self circulate. Wish I had access to the Kuma Sequoia. That thing is a beast but may be too much for our little 2000 sqft.

What insert did you go with?

(I'm confused if those are the same company
Yes the same company hampton is just their cast line.

Of the others listed I would stay away from harman and vermont castings they are overly complicated and expensive to maintain. All of the others are good quality stoves though.

I am not sure why the response about a Vermont Castings says they are complicated. Honestly I have a Montpelier and so do two of my neighbors. Mine is 3 years old, the next door neighbor has had it for 5 years and the neighbor across the street put it in last year. I have found the my insert is very simple. Nothing complex other than loading wood and cleaning the glass for a beautiful romantic view. None of us have had any problems so far. My wife really loves the stove and has no problems operating it. For some reason dealers tend to push other brands. I cannot be sure but margin may have something to do with that. The large Vermont Castings model known as the Merrimack is also a good unit and I have a friend with that unit who has no complaints. The Merrimack was a bit too large for my application,

I cannot say much about the others since I do not own one of those models so in all fairness, I cannot say how reliable they are. I did look into them but decided on the VC was its beauty and IMHO simplicity. My home is approx. 2500sqft 2 story colonial so it is less than ideal for a wood stove. It is well insulated with modern windows so I can still heat the whole house if given enough time with 2nd floor bedrooms at 70-72 and 1st floor 75+. A less efficient home will require a larger unit.

I am not sure why the response about a Vermont Castings says they are complicated.
The Montpeliers are tube stoves like many of the others listed so unlike most vc stoves their combustion system is pretty simple. But like all other vc stoves they dont use stock brick you have to buy expensive replacement panels from vc. Their door latches are pain to adjust once they start to wear and many other problems common with all modern vc stoves. But yes they are beautiful. And that is one of the few where the combustion system is simple and reliable.

Go with the Hampton. It's made by Regency, has a good track record, local dealer suppport. And most importantly - she likes it!

Reactions: bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.