Help. Class A chimney came uncrimped

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bumblebeetuna96

Mar 17, 2018
USA
I just finished installing the outside portion of my chimney (8" ss, duravent) when I noticed the seam came apart. I think it may have happened when I tightened the band for the roof brackets or perhaps it came this way and I didnt notice. The more I tried to fix it the worse it got.

b7a625dd859f32312038f0d9f44935ed.jpg 1a722379c51dcfda5a1f0f30ea2c5c44.jpg bc18a200488674d2e507a298479f46bb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Id return for a replacement from where you got it from. Or deal with it and caulk it like you did the storm collar. Luckily its facing "in" towards the roof.

Is this DuraPlus or DuraTech chimney pipe?

It should be under warranty.

I'm going to place tape over it for the time being. Were supposed to get a storm tonight. The woodstove isnt installed yet. Ill contact Duratech in the morning hopefully they are willing to replace. I haven't dealt with them. I just hope the fact that I installed it doesn't affect the warranty.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Where did you buy it from? That is the first place I would try to return it to. Let them deal with the warranty claim if possible. If purchased on the internet the chimney must be installed by a pro to get the warranty.

Where did you buy it from? That is the first place I would try to return it to. Let them deal with the warranty claim if possible. If purchased on the internet the chimney must be installed by a pro to get the warranty.
Thanks for the heads up. I may be SOL in that case. It was purchased on the internet and installed by yours truely.

Thanks for the heads up. I may be SOL in that case. It was purchased on the internet and installed by yours truely.

Well then I would go ahead and caulk it. Both for the storm coming and long term.

Do not use the chimney like that it will allow water into the insulation rendering it useless

Reactions: webby3650
If caulking is the remedy, do it with a very generous bead of good quality silicone like GE Silicone 2 for the entire length of the seam. You don't want the insulation getting wet.

I went ahead and caulked it. Ill replace the it eventually. Just a shame I didn't notice it before. Thanks for the advice guys

Replace it before using it.

Reactions: moresnow
I would say nuts to that. Pull it down and return it. It wasn't used and wasn't installed yet pro or otherwise. But - now it's caulked. Hmm.

Reactions: WinterinWI
I would say nuts to that. Pull it down and return it. It wasn't used and wasn't installed yet pro or otherwise. But - now it's caulked. Hmm.
The perfect circumstances. Sunday so no customer support and a rain/ snowstorm tonight.

R.R. asap. Just isn't a spot I'd use compromised materials! Just my opinion only. Good luck getting it fixed and moving on. Stuff.... Um..... Happens!!

Why didnt you just take that section off, and put the cap on the lower section until you could return and replace?