Dolmar7900 Posted By Dolmar7900, Nov 6, 2014 at 12:08 PM

1. Dolmar7900

Dolmar7900
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 22, 2013
    Loc:
    Whitewater Wisconsin
    I have a wood-burning stove with a pretty good size surface area on the top. We cook lots of pancakes and things like that but I was wanting to find something that would cook a pizza. I assume it would have to be a oven which sits on top of the stove.I would like to be able to cook a 12 inch pizza. I can't seem to find anything out there that would work. Do you have any suggestions?

2. TreePointer

TreePointer
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 22, 2010
    Loc:
    PA
    I've never done it, but I imagine that it needs something above to radiate heat onto the top of the pizza. Some type of masonry, fire brick, or even a re-purposed pizza stone might work.

3. Osage

Osage
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Nov 3, 2011
    Loc:
    kansas
    Have cooked pizza inside ours on a grate.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. BobUrban

BobUrban
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 24, 2010
    Loc:
    Central Michigan
    I cook them outside in a Dutch oven with legs. Coal under and on top and stop peaking - your loosing heat!!

Kids love to do it camping and you can do it with charcoal in the driveway - The kids really like when I call it "driveway" Pizza.

I imagine if you pre heat the lid of a Dutch oven then set the rig on top of the stove it would work. Keep us posted on what you discover - I like pizza.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. skfire

skfire
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 15, 2010
    Loc:
    NEPA
    Pizza needs 450f ..
    good pizza needs 550
    great pizza needs 600 and stone

Lakeside likes this.
  6. Danno77

Danno77
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 27, 2008
    Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    Wonder if something like this would work:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I always wondered what it was for when I was younger, baking on top of a stove is what I think we landed on. The bottom of it is open and there are a couple of baffles there. Temp gauge on the door, too!

7. Dolmar7900

Dolmar7900
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 22, 2013
    Loc:
    Whitewater Wisconsin
    [​IMG]
    Like in the post above I was thinking about something like this. Coleman camp oven for about $35 on eBay. I'm just wondering if anyone had a better idea of something my transfer the heat much better than this aluminum stove.

8. jrems

jrems
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 24, 2013
    Loc:
    Danbury CT
    It's a little expensive but it does work awesome. http://www.bakerstonebox.com/
    they have them at bed bath and beyond, you can use one of their 20%off coupons and it should be under $100. I have never seen it used on a wood stove but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

TreePointer likes this.
  9. OhioBurner©

OhioBurner©
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 20, 2010
    Loc:
    Center of Ohio
    I think often folks cook the pizza in their stove. Just do a search here for 'pizza' and select title only. You should get dozens of threads. Here is in old one that I remember from a few years ago that a lot of good discussion was had fwiw... https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/pizza-bust.63183/

10. coaly

coaly
    Fisher Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Loc:
    NE PA
    Yes, that is a stove top oven. They were stored in the closet and used when the cook stove oven was in use. They are not a cheap antique anymore.
    Here's a Griswold BOLO that stands for Big Oven / Little Oven.
    We use ours as a bread box, and for pies on Thanksgiving when the oven built into the stove is full.

Griswold BOLO oven 2.jpg Griswold BOLO oven.jpg

In the 70's there were some sold as stove accessories;

Oven with Fisher handle spring.jpg Oven back.jpg