HELP Enerzone Insert vs. Freestanding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SouthernMaryland

Aug 15, 2019
?
Hi Folks - we are currently looking to convert our open fireplace to either an insert or freestanding fireplace. The local place that can install for us has limited options. Right now we’re looking at the Enerzone Destination 2.3

I don’t like the idea of a blower but realize with an insert we will have to use one. We are ideally heating about 2200 square feet - the insert will be centrally locates and we are located in Southern Maryland. Any thoughts on how well this thing may do?

I signed to order that one then had second thoughts about doing a hearth extension and trying to get a freestanding stove rated for about 100,000 BTUs in there - they don’t seem to have options available that could fit our opening (38.5 inches high) other than a Manchester rated at 78,000 BTUs. The Manchester is more expensive - but would provide more radiant heat and the quiet, the Enerzone is rated at 75,000BTU.

I’m torn - suggestions or solutions!

Less important than peak BTU output is firebox size. Most people never see the peak BTU. The Enerzone is an SBI stove and very similar to the Osburn Matrix. As a near flush insert it will need the blower for good heat output.

We'll need a bit more information about the house, its floorplan (open or closed off rooms, one or two room) and ceiling height to know how good a fit this will be, but in Southern Md. the Enerzone might be fine. The Manchester is about .5 cu ft larger and a good heater, but putting it in the fireplace will negate the use of the side loading door. Regardless of stove, the key will be having a good supply of fully seasoned wood.

What are the full fireplace dimensions? Is there a mantel? Pictures are welcome.

In general, a freestander will be a better overall heater than a similar insert.

With inserts, the less flush they are, the less you need a fan. I've found with a semiflush insert that I only use the fan on the very coldest days.

If you are burning any stove at its peak BTU output regularly, it's too small. Size the stove so it can run at reasonable output levels normally.

Tough to tell what you need- square footage isn't a terribly useful measure- but you are in a moderate climate zone. You probably don't need a furnace-sized stove to heat it unless the house is uninsulated or has terrible windows, or the stove is in the basement or in a sunroom (all difficult handicaps for any stove).