Help ID wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psass55

Oct 19, 2015
Western Pennsylvania
Any idea what the wood pictured is? I got a trailer of it well seasoned for free. It burns well enough, not as long as I'd like but a good 5-6 hour burn in my PE spectrum. I was told its three years seasoned and since it was free worth a shot. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 196
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 210
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 192
I agree it could be Ash. By the way, the ideal photo would show a freshly split piece, showing both the end grain and the side of the wood. Of course we'd also like to see the bark which is very clear in these pictures.

The problem with bark only is that Ash, Walnut, some oaks, Cottonwood, Norway Maple, Tulip Poplar, and a few others have similar bark patterns.

I thought it looked like both Ash and hickory but your last pics are a definite Ash. Probably white, never saw the patterns quite that pronounced.

Status
Not open for further replies.