Help identify Big E whine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

movemaine

Minister of Fire
Nov 28, 2011
Central Maine
movemaine.com
video:

I just siliconed the exhaust blower shaft, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

I'd.like to figure out what it is, so that I can replace it before running this thing all winter.

Sure sounds like a fan motor. Have you lubricated them?
not sure which motor thats for you to decide.

Yep... you can add a few drops of oil to it but i found that only helped a few weeks and then it got worse... Pull the side panel off and you will be able to tell for sure if its exhaust

Reactions: movemaine
When you first turn you big E on the combustion blower should be the only thing running. Even if the convection fan is set to manual high, it shouldn’t kick on for a few seconds. So if the sound is there from the moment you turn it on, it’s the combustion. If it kicks in after convection kicks in, it’s the convection. I nursed a combustion blower along on one when I first got married because I couldn’t afford a new one. As long as I squirted some oil at the bearings a couple times a year, it was fine for the three years I used it. That said, I’ve oiled some of them and they still sound bad, then or later.

I have Harmon XXV that sounded similar. Thought for sure it was Distribution Blower. But it turned out to be screws impacting the blower housing. Pull the blower and run outside the stove. Look for any marks from screws and other things rubbing.