Help Identify Johnson Energy Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acicomp

Feb 19, 2015
North Carolina
Good evening all! I've been lurking here for a while as I have been waiting for a deal to come along on a wood furnace. I am new to the wood furnace scene and I was able to pick up an older Johnson Energy Furnace for little of nothing today and the guy included a plenum box for the ducts and quite of bit of ducting, etc... I would like to see if someone can help identify which Johnson model this unit is.

I have attached a few images of the unit. The main box dimensions are 32" deep x 30" tall x 24" wide. It has two fans on the bottom of the unit, a 6" vent pipe and 2 - 8" duct attachments on the top of the unit. I need to pick up a couple of parts for it like a new grate and replacement for one of the fans. The label just says Model: "J" with no numbers after it.

It still appears to be in "decent" shape, but like I said, I new to all this. I am hoping to start working on installing the chimney tomorrow afternoon so we can possibly get this unit going soon.

Thanks in advance for nay help or suggestions.
Chris .

Johnson 1.jpg Johnson 2.jpg Johnson 3.jpg

I can't really help ya on the ID but I can tell ya that is newer than this old bird of mine. Burn it hot and it should serve you well but expect to feed it well.

Attachments

• P0002_210215.jpg
    P0002_210215.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Yours does look a lot like mine even though the doors are a little different. I like the filter box on yours. Mine had 4 wobbly legs, so we grabbed a couple sticks of flat bar and welded them on so it would add some more stability to the legs. I also fixed that beat up fan that was in one of the pics above. The last owner had done a number on it when he pulled it from his basement. I may go ahead and reinforce the bottom of the ash pan with some new plating because the last owner had been burning with a busted grate so the fire was right on the ash pan for a while which caused some warping. I may also go ahead and use some 3/4" rebar to fab a new set of grates before I really put it to use on a full time basis. Not ideal, but much cheaper than a set of 21" wide cast iron grates.

Status
Not open for further replies.