Help identify this stove and general advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mathewc

Sep 27, 2017
Northern VA
Hello all,

I found this stove for sale locally, and I'm trying to identify it to see if it will fit my needs. The owner does not have an identification plate or model number.

00s0s_69ottB7Wv8C_1200x900.jpg

My current insert

wDQ7Bgw.jpg

Pros:

Looks good
Has two decent sized windows where you can see the fire
Takes up very little space
Takes nice big pieces of wood

Cons:
Eats wood at a pretty fast rate
The fan is loud
Is not efficient

A replacement stove

Pros:

Would fit on the brick in front of the fireplace without me having to do demo or take up extra floor space
Would take medium to large pieces as I already have wood cut for the insert
Have a nice window I can see the fire through
Would have a single door that opens to the left like the one for sale
Be efficient. Have a secondary gas burn chamber
Not cost a ton of money. Used is perfectly fine.
Wouldn't need a loud fan

Cons:
Would have to sit out from the fireplace to do any good, taking up extra space
Area would have to be setup to comply to code/not set my house afire (removal of carpet, placement of stone tile)
Might cost more than I think

General info

The brick ledge in front of the current fireplace is 14 inches tall, and 23 inches deep. The actual fireplace hole is 29 inches high (for the purpose of getting the pipe back there)
I'm aware and prepared to pull up the carpets and put down fire proof tile
When I put the insert in, I had a company clean the flue and install a flexible pipe that goes up the chimney. It is to code as far as I know
I have a friend who has a stove that looks like the one for sale. It has an exhaust control and another lever to control a secondary gas burn chamber. I've spent a fair amount of time over there and it seems to be drastically more efficient than mine.

My two questions are:
1. What is the model of that stove for sale?
2. Do you think I can place the stove on the brick in front of the fireplace or will I have to demo/place it on the floor in front of the brick?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure the make/model of the stove. Is there a UL label on the rear that identifies it? Based on the damper on the flue collar I am wondering if this is a 35:1 stove. If so, not that efficient. Is replacing the current insert with a modern EPA unit out of the question?

Not sure the make/model of the stove. Is there a UL label on the rear that identifies it? Based on the damper on the flue collar I am wondering if this is a 35:1 stove. If so, not that efficient. Is replacing the current insert with a modern EPA unit out of the question?

Nothing is out of the question. What unit do you recommend? My main goal is to get rid of the fan noise needed to keep the air moving.

The hearth is not deep enough to fulfill all the wishes listed. It looks to be only about 18". Most stoves are deeper.

Perhaps a rear-venting side loader could work. What is the lintel height for the fireplace? How large an area are you trying to heat?

The hearth is not deep enough to fulfill all the wishes listed. It looks to be only about 18". Most stoves are deeper.

Perhaps a rear-venting side loader could work. What is the lintel height for the fireplace? How large an area are you trying to heat?

The house is about 2000 sq ft, but I live alone so as long as the one room is toasty and the pipes don't freeze, I'm good.

I think the biggest concerns are efficiency and not having a loud fan on. My friend's stove has a secondary burn chamber and keeps his house nice and warm with what seems like half the wood of mine. The room heats up and he has a small quiet fan in the ceiling to move the hot air upstairs when it reaches a certain temp.

If the lintel height is high then your options may increase. How large is the room the fireplace is in? How open is this room to the rest of the 1st floor and stairwell? The chimney will need a 6" stainless liner if there isn't one installed already. What is the budget for this changeout?

Right now I'm thinking a sideloader like the Jotul F500 or a Woodstock Progress Hybrid, but I'll need fireplace opening dimensions to see if that will fit. Both will need a hearth extension board at the floor level too.

I had to look up lintel hight. Not quite sure I understand what info you need, but from my original post...

"The brick ledge in front of the current fireplace is 14 inches tall, and 23 inches deep. The actual fireplace hole is 29 inches high (for the purpose of getting the pipe back there)"

I have a stainless liner installed and connected to the current insert. It's flexible and can be hooked up to whatever I want.

29" is too low for a freestanding stove to fit unless the legs are removed or shortened. How wide is the fireplace opening?