Help identifying older hearthstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tabner

Feeling the Heat
Jan 17, 2019
Eastern CT
My grandparents bought a new home and it came with this hearthstone. I looked all over it for the tag with model # and info and I couldn’t find one. I’d like help identifying what model/year it is so I can print out a manual for them. My grandfather is good, he’ll actually read it.
It’s got secondary burn tubes, no cat, air control is down bottom left under the stove, small ash tray underneath, and an oval vent out the back.
Was also wondering - it has significant cracks in the exterior of the stones in both left and right side. But they don’t seem to go all the way through, fine to burn in it?

D2590465-A65F-4CFA-8B39-E9D8AEE3629F.jpeg 278FB7A1-7872-464B-BEB6-A2CD1AFDAED8.jpeg 84E1319F-3084-4B94-8E27-F3DA52CBB8AD.jpeg

That's a Hearthstone Homestead. I see it has the short leg kit, which is generally meant to go on a fireplace hearth. This combo has the highest hearth insulation requirement I can think of, R= 4.0. You need to be sure that the hearth its sitting on is very well insulated from combustibles underneath. Or change the legs to the 6" ones. Even then the hearth needs to have an R=2.5 insulation value.

The grey, fried paint on the stove pipe coming out of the flue outlet suggests that the stove has been overfire which is not good with a stone stove. They may not be turning down the air soon enough, or not at all! Definitely get them the manual.

That's a Hearthstone Homestead. I see it has the short leg kit, which is generally meant to go on a fireplace hearth. This combo has the highest hearth insulation requirement I can think of, R= 4.0. You need to be sure that the hearth its sitting on is very well insulated from combustibles underneath.

The grey, fried paint on the stove pipe coming out of the flue outlet suggests that the stove has been overfire which is not good with a stone stove. They may not be turning down the air soon enough, or not at all! Definitely get them the manual.
Thanks begreen. They actually haven’t used it at all. They just moved in and are trying to figure it out for this fall/winter.
Appreciate the heads up about the hearth, I’ll check it out!

To check the cracks, darken the room, then take a bright flashlight and shine it at them. If no light leaks on the other side, that's good. If there are consider sealing them with Hearthstone's stove cement.

Reactions: tabner
Hey @begreen do you know if this model has a cast iron or steel firebox lining inside the soapstone? I couldn't find a schematics view in the manual. And it's hard to tell in person since the inside of the stove is all ash and discoloration. I believe some of the hearthstones were literally just soap stone chunks bolted together, with no liner/firebox.
I'm asking because they had a chimney sweep come over to inspect/clean the chimney, and he told them everything is fine. Despite the chimney not having a liner, and the signs of over-firing that you noticed, he said it looks great. He also told them not to worry at all about the cracks, since there is an internal iron firebox/lining. So i'm just curious if that is true.

Good stove.. not a big firebox, we let ours go to someone with a smaller house, and berm insulation on 3 sides.. as begreen says, very high clearance requirements.. didn't know that when we bought ours, read the manual.. had to refigure our install, but got it done and safe.

I see at least one substantial crack on the left lower side stone.. not particularly attractive, but it's stone. Seal on the inside with the recommended cement.