Help/Info on Good Buy 13-NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hello,
Story/buy info here, help question below: I've been looking at either the 30NC or 13NC for our split level home. Replacing 1970's Pro-Former Z, 2,200 total square feet, woodstove down, fireplace up. We decided to do two smaller stoves: 13 down and fireplace insert in the future up so as not to "blow us out" of the basement, have more heat control, and to make the fireplace, which we love, an actual heat source. That being said, I've been keeping an eye on the 13NC--I know some have gotten end-of-season deals, but I didn't feel like waiting.

Doitbest.com has the 50-SNC13 on sale for $649. It is the very basic model (no trim ring, feet, etc.), but they will ship it to a store for free. I wanted the feet, so I took the printout to Lowe's and they matched it for their 50-SNC13LC (comes w/trim ring, feet, etc.). Sounds like business is not so good; they were fairly quick to match, but they wouldn't do the 10% difference thing. So you know.

HELP: Two questions:

1. Should the pipe that I'm using go on the outside of the stove's outlet or tuck into the inside?
2. The stove's outlet is farther from the wall (since it's on top)--should I go at a slight angle towards the wall and out or go straight and use a longer piece to connect to the wall. I have attached a sweet pic.

Thanks!

SML

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    81.1 KB · Views: 190
A general rule is that 45 degree bends are better than 90 degree bends so "option 1" looks better to me.
The pipe should go inside the collar on the stove.

Crazy,
Thanks. One more question: There is only one control on the 13 (air intake?), do I buy a pipe with a flue damper or should there only be that one control?

S

should just be the one control. The new EPA certified stoves very rarely need a pipe damper.

Status
Not open for further replies.