Help - Looking for a pellet stove that uses as little electricity as possible

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBG

Hearth Supporter
Mar 11, 2007

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good pellet stove that uses as little electricity as possible. Perhaps one with a manual starter? We would like to get a small pellet stove for our basement that could be run off the grid by our solar system.

I'm new to the pellet stove world so any suggestions you have would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Glad you made it to hearth.com. Welcome to the forum. Forum members, we went over the quads yesterday in my shop. I think they draw to much, expecially at start up. Doenst harmon make one thats a manual start?

Both the Thelin Gnome and Parlor use 12V circuitry which could potentially be run off solar power.

i belive the new thelins use a ignitor correct? Im not sure. I will have to talk to thelin next week.

When I ordered mine it was an option - $125. This was as of last spring.

The new Quad Mt Vernon AE uses all 12V motors and such, it can be run off of a deep cycle marine battery. You could probably run that off solar power as well. Only problem is it s a beast of a pellet stove so only good for heating large areas. So I guess it would not fit inot what you asked... which is "small". Otherwise all the quad unit use AC motors and automatic ignition so they would prob not be a good choice as MSG said.

The Thelin Gnome & Parlor 3000 are probably the most miserly with electricity. They will run without the ignitor when running on battery power.

mlouwho, are you a dealer? Can you provide more information about this stove?

How is greenfire technology different? What is the patented part? Does the Dell-Point run on 12v DC circuits or no electricity at all? Sorry for all the questions, but the website is really thin on details and helpful information.

mlouwho said:
check out the DellPoint Europa, it will met your needs, great stove!

I just bought the Europa 75. Are you using one? I will post my impressions after I get some burn time in.

Jerry

BeGreen said:
mlouwho, are you a dealer? Can you provide more information about this stove?

How is greenfire technology different? What is the patented part? Does the Dell-Point run on 12v DC circuits or no electricity at all? Sorry for all the questions, but the website is really thin on details and helpful information.

The Europa 75 is a multi-fuel gasifier. It is set up to run off 110V AC and uses 12V in operation. There is what I am told is a 9 hour back up 12VDC battery included. They also supply a pigtail to hook up to a larger 12V battery. Running off a pure 12V system will be a no-brainer. It does need at least 12VDC to run. Install was not a problem. I had it installed, to avoid running around for parts. If you know what you are doing, it is a simple affair. I watched and know I could have done it.

Mine is newly installed, I will post my impressions after cold weather sets in and I get in some burn time. I sure like the idea. Mine will be used for supplemental heating to reduce the use of natural gas and provide a buffer in the event of a major grid failure like we had a few years ago. If that had been a winter failure, we would have been major cold in here. This is why I demanded a 12VDC capable system. To go to a pure wood stove would have required upping the chimney to code and that would have doubled my costs, if not many times more.

Jerry

Welcome Jerry, looking forward to an update on the stove. Post a picture if you get a chance.

BeGreen said:
Welcome Jerry, looking forward to an update on the stove. Post a picture if you get a chance.

The stove's appearance is well represented on the company website. Mine is the plain jane model, without the brass/gold colored trim. I am not one who posts pics of my home on the net and the stove is down in an unfinished basement. I had it vented out through a Glass Block window, dryer style. It is not something that shames me, but I have nothing to brag about. Posting pics of hearth and home is also a security concern for me.

If I ever get the wherewithal to find, or build a remote retreat, this pellet stove looks like a very promising method of heating under primitive conditions. A modest amount of solar panels will likely do to keep it running, along with the proper supply of fuel. The future will better inform me.

If further details are desired, I think I can do it in written form.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.