Help me choose a new wood splitter pump!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtcates

Mar 1, 2010
Central NC
My 25 year old wood splitter pump leaks at the input shaft and it rarely downshifts to high pressure anymore. I figure it's due for a replacement. Any of you guys know much about what I need? I am looking for higher quality rather than saving a few bucks. My splitter has an 8 HP engine and a 4 inch ram.

Start by looking up the pressure and GPM ratings of the old pump. You should match them.

Edit: A 25 year old splitter could probably do with new hydraulic hoses, if you are still on the originals. Even if the new pump matches the PSI rating of the old pump, the old one may have been weak for some time. A sudden shot of the real thing might overwhelm an old hose. Leaky hydraulic hoses can be very dangerous.

Just a thought.

Just put a new hose on it last year. I would like the fastest cycle time possible for this setup and if an 8 hp will pull a 16 GPM pump then thats what I want. Would I be better off with a say 13 GPM pump? Would the 16 GPM pump load the motor too much?

I think as you achieve faster cycle times you lose on the tons of force. Timberwolf has 2 similar splitters one is a FC. You may want to look at their site and see how they are set up.

A 8 hp. engine will handle a 16 gpm 2-stage pump if it is decent shape. Typically Haldex/Barnes pumps are used for splitters although usually sold under store brand names. MTE pumps are also used. Average price is $160.00 for a 16 gpm pump.

WhitePine said:
Start by looking up the pressure and GPM ratings of the old pump. You should match them.

Edit: A 25 year old splitter could probably do with new hydraulic hoses, if you are still on the originals. Even if the new pump matches the PSI rating of the old pump, the old one may have been weak for some time. A sudden shot of the real thing might overwhelm an old hose. Leaky hydraulic hoses can be very dangerous.

Just a thought.

If this is an old single-stage pump, I would start looking to upgrade all hydraulics except cylinder. Make sure your cylinder is in GOOD condition.
Then I would shoot for a 16 gpm USA made 2-stage. Add new hoses, a gauge and filter.

Yes the current pump is 2 stage. Of course I will instal a new 2 stage pump. Good idea on the USA made. I guess 16 GPM is ok for my 8 hp engine. The engine is 25 years old but I would guess it only has 400 or so hours on it as it has only split 100 to 150 cords or so in the 25 years. Good idea on the gauge. It would be cool to monitor the pressure as it is working.

TSC has a two stage 16gpm splitter pump. I think it goes for $179. (Not sure. It's been a while.) That's what I'm running on my splitter. Requires 8hp so you'd be fine. I've had no trouble with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.