Help me choose a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KindredSpiritzz

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2013
appleton, wi
Im looking at adding a new stove to my den, mostly for the ambiance and supplemental heat. I'd like something that has at least 6 hr burn times and can heat about 1500sq ft and it has to be within my budget of under $1000.
I think I have narrowed my choices down to the following stoves.......
vogelzang mountaineer, vogelzang performer or century whistler.

I see the voglezangs are 3/16 steel where as other stoves i have seen have 5/16 steel. Im kind of leery of the voglezangs for that reason.
I was kinda hoping you guys could help me choose the best one of the three and you could share your thoughts if you have experience with any of them. Or make another recommendation in my price range?

Sorry to say , you get what you pay for.

Most steel stoves at any price these days are made with reinforced 3/16" stove bodies. Some have 1/4" or 5/16" top plates. Most of the quarter inch are and 5/16" are ones without a step top bend for warp resistance.

As to getting what you pay for, you can pay a ton more and not get anymore too.

Says the guy that heats the house with a stove that cost a grand. Lots of differences in stoves, but they all get hot if you do it right.

Reactions: dafattkidd
You have several choices. Include an Englander 30NC as you review options. It's made in the US.

thanks Begreen, kinda liking your suggestion on the Englander, not sure that might be to much heat for my little 1600 sq ft place. Sure is a biggie with over 3 cubic ft box.

Tell us more about the house and stove location.

Unless your place is super-tight, or the house floor plan has a lot of closed off rooms, I wouldn't be too concerned about the 30NC. It will run on a partial load of fuel during milder weather, but for your days when it's in the teens or lower I think you would appreciate the additional capacity for longer burn times and extra heat. It's $900 or less at Home Depot.

Reactions: HotCoals
thanks Begreen, kinda liking your suggestion on the Englander, not sure that might be to much heat for my little 1600 sq ft place. Sure is a biggie with over 3 cubic ft box.

Another thing to consider is the stoves clearances to combustibles and the r value for the hearth, do some research first and plan it out some

Some stoves require a high r value for the hearth ( some of the englanders for example) while others only require ember protection

So budget aaccordingly, there are some stoves simlarly priced as the nc-30 that only require ember protection but the 30 has a strong following here
Someone here maintains a list of stoves that are ember protection only... Look at some of the drolets for examples

Guess what i am trying to say is don't go by price of stove alone, saving $100-200 on one stove may easily be spent building a hearth with a high r value and shields to decrease clearances

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.